Vet treated with Antibiotics, with no results - could this be an allergy?

MinnieMae

Chirping
Aug 19, 2020
Moscow, Idaho
Our 11 month old Green Queen hen began sneezing/honking/wheezing, about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She was seen by a Vet who prescribed Tylan Soluble for the flock, suspecting a respiratory infection. The 7 day treatment ended 1 week ago. Olive is still sneezing/honking/wheezing to the same extent. It is VERY constant and loud, sometimes she "honks" several times a minute, on average it's every couple of minutes +

She is active, eager to get out of the run to forage, has normal poops. No discharge from eyes or nose, no swollen face. The Vet said her crop felt good, heart sounded good, cloaca was healthy. She was a bit thin, I believe she said she could hear her raspy breathing in one lung in particular. The 5 other hens have not developed any symptoms. Her symptoms coincided with a heatwave, mid to high 90s consistently, with 107 being our peak for two days. During that time they cooler spaces to retreat to, and I kept areas moist for them. They roost in their outside run at night, so plenty of ventilation, and run is kept clean.

She also began showing symptoms around the same time as I switched their food. I do not see her eating as much as the others, and the fermented batch they receive each morning she hardly touches, everyone else loves it and laying is great. She is very eager for treats, and eats everything else I give her.

Could this be an allergy to the new food? Environmental allergies? We've been having a high grass pollen count lately.

Since she's already been treated with Tylan, I'm unsure of how to proceed.

Thank you for any insight you have!!!

Attachments

• 668AC1A6-E00B-4CA1-BCFF-37781178AA3E.jpeg
    668AC1A6-E00B-4CA1-BCFF-37781178AA3E.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 7B707442-55CE-4EF2-90B4-5E45A50EB1BD.jpeg
    7B707442-55CE-4EF2-90B4-5E45A50EB1BD.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 5
  • 11C4F98F-BDB4-4C60-A384-31D7F49199E8.jpeg
    11C4F98F-BDB4-4C60-A384-31D7F49199E8.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
sneezing/honking/wheezing to the same extent. It is VERY constant and loud, sometimes she "honks" several times a minute, on average it's every couple of minutes +

No discharge from eyes or nose, no swollen face. The Vet said her crop felt good, heart sounded good, cloaca was healthy. She was a bit thin, I believe she said she could hear her raspy breathing in one lung in particular.

She also began showing symptoms around the same time as I switched their food.
Can you get a video of her? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

I know vet said crop is good, but please check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. It should be empty.

A photo of her head/face would be good.
Anything inside her beak? Lesions/canker/yellow or white pasty material?

Was a fecal float ran to check for worms?

You could try switching the feed back to what you were using to see if she improves.

Anything else changed? Bedding, housing, adding new birds?

Can you get a video of her? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

I know vet said crop is good, but please check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. It should be empty.

A photo of her head/face would be good.
Anything inside her beak? Lesions/canker/yellow or white pasty material?

Was a fecal float ran to check for worms?

You could try switching the feed back to what you were using to see if she improves.

Anything else changed? Bedding, housing, adding new birds?
Thank you for your response! Original post edited to include photos and video.
- Nothing inside her beak that I or the Vet could spot
- A fecal float was NOT ran
- No other changes at all
- I'll be sure to feel her crop in the morning before food and water

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! Original post edited to include photos and video.
- Nothing inside her beak that I or the Vet could spot
- A fecal float was NOT ran
- No other changes at all
- I'll be sure to feel her crop in the morning before food and water
I would re-check that crop for several mornings.
I would re-look inside that beak as well - see if there's anything in the choanal slit or back of the throat.
You don't mention if she's laying eggs?
No fecal float, it's possible she may have worms, but she would be declining in health. If you vet is not available to perform a fecal float, then consider de-worming to see if that makes a difference. Safeguard dose is 0.23 ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Her eyes are bright, no bubbles, nostrils clear, etc. It's possible it may be a respiratory virus like Infectious Bronchitis - generally this runs it's course in a couple of months (and is not affected by antibiotics), but I would expect another bird or two to become symptomatic as well. MG symptoms are commonly treated with Tylan, but you don't mention symptoms of MG.

I would still lean toward a crop issue, possibly fluid with reproductive disorder, worms and/or the feed since there was a change then symptoms appeared. Is the fermenting new too or just the feed itself? I might would consider changing back to what you were feeding to see if she improves once you rule some of these other things out.

Just my 2¢

1626230511622.png

Back
Top Bottom