Vicious two day old coturnix chick

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
I need some help on what to do with a particularly aggressive two-day-old chick. It has been attacking the other chicks and making them bleed from the beaks right above their nostrils (and then continues to peck at the blood). I have separated it into a basket in the brooder and dabbed a little bit of food coloring mixed with betadine on the wounds to mask the blood but the little turd still went after the others once I took him out. I have been lightly tapping it on the back every time it misbehaves but it doesn't seem to get the point. I also just turned down the temperature in the brooder. Any other tips?

I need some help on what to do with a particularly aggressive two-day-old chick. It has been attacking the other chicks and making them bleed from the beaks right above their nostrils (and then continues to peck at the blood). I have separated it into a basket in the brooder and dabbed a little bit of food coloring mixed with betadine on the wounds to mask the blood but the little turd still went after the others once I took him out. I have been lightly tapping it on the back every time it misbehaves but it doesn't seem to get the point. I also just turned down the temperature in the brooder. Any other tips?
Is it possible that they aren't having enough space? Each quail should have about 1 square foot per quail.

Is it possible that they aren't having enough space? Each quail should have about 1 square foot per quail.
No, the brooder isn't even at half capacity and I have brooded chicks at much higher density with no problems before. 1 square foot per two-day-old chick is pretty huge especially for a space that has to be warm.

Put a mirror in the brooder. Your "meanie" might be entertained by an image of itself. I had one that loved beaks from an early age; other birds were always bleeding because of that. She eventually outgrew it over time. Distractions in the meantime helped.

Back
Top Bottom