Walking funny ( but it's not funny ! )

Lille

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Hi all,

I have only a few chickens but today one of them started walking kinda funny. She's squated down when she walks. Looks like she's walking and trying to lay an egg at the same time.

Any thoughts on what might be going on with her would be appreciated.

Thank you !

Most likely she is eggbound. Put her in a container of warm water up to her sides and massage her underside for about 20 minutes. Hopefully she'll lay an egg.

Thank you Dawg,

I'm almost sure you're correct and that she's eggbound. I've put her into a tub of warm water and massaged her underside as you suggested but to no avail. No egg yet.

She is a large Marans and she lays almost every day. but not today. So I think you must be right. Question is... What do I do if she doesn't lay ? And can I wait until tomorrow to see if all is well or am I doing her harm by waiting until then ?

Greatly appreciate your help. She's a real Sweetheart and I do hate to see her not well.

Thank you.

Thank you Dawg,

I'm almost sure you're correct and that she's eggbound. I've put her into a tub of warm water and massaged her underside as you suggested but to no avail. No egg yet.

She is a large Marans and she lays almost every day. but not today. So I think you must be right. Question is... What do I do if she doesn't lay ? And can I wait until tomorrow to see if all is well or am I doing her harm by waiting until then ?

Greatly appreciate your help. She's a real Sweetheart and I do hate to see her not well.

Thank you.

You can repeat the procedure tomorrow if you wish. After soaking her, put on a disposable glove and put a little olive oil on your finger and insert your finger into her vent checking for debris/egg. Then remove your finger and put a little olive oil just inside the vent and outside the vent. Warm water calms her and expands the innards. Massaging helps the egg move along. Finger in the vent stretches her insides and the olive oil makes it easier for the egg to slip out.

Back
Top Bottom