Wanted: Better Buff Orps and Barred Rocks!

Sappy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Pike County
I've got my first flock going now, after some initial troubles. Expecting eggs in the near future, and I'm enjoying having chickens very much!

That said, I got most of my birds from a hatchery. I want birds for eggs and meat. I've read many posts about how Buff Orps, Barred Rocks, and other dual purpose breeds available today are inferior to those that were available between 1910 and 1950 or so. I've also seen various reasons for this... inattention to their meat/egg producing qualities, more emphasis on color and showy traits, etc.

What I'm wondering is... is there anybody out there with some Buff Orps and Barred Rocks that produce meat better, and somewhat faster, than the common hatchery stock? Is anybody out there breeding and selecting for these qualities.... and getting results like the ALBC did with their Buckeye experiment?

If so, I'm interested in buying a roo, some chicks, or some hatching eggs from such an individual. I'm also interested in just knowing what other ppl are doing along these lines, and what results they're getting.

Anybody?

Hi we have very large buff orpingtons and barred rocks that are dual purpose. We do sell hatching eggs and would be honored to serve your needs in this area.

Please let me know if you have any questions about our birds...

Also, feel free to look at the feedback section.....We select our eggs while they are fresh and wrap and pack them as if the chickies' lives depend on them and send them in the same shape we would like to receive them.

Here are some pictures of our birds:

Barred Rock:
8875_barredrock.jpg

Buff Orpingtons:
8875_buff_orph2.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Be blessed and be a blessing.

Quote:
They are dual purpose, yes. However, 60 years ago and further back, they were apparently better for meat production than they are today.

Orps and Rocks are dual purpose and there are different strains i have a more production strain and there are showier strains but good breeders breed for good traits and also keep in mine the purpose they were originally bred for.....and i bet they were much better 50 years ago but 50 years from now they will have a better hybrid for meat and eggs, that are better than the Cornish X now because 50 years ago some of the recognized breeds now were hybrids then that were bred for meat and eggs

Back
Top Bottom