Water and food recommendations

Akrause57

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2020
Hello all! I am preparing to move my 9 chicks out to the coop within the week. I was wondering what brands, set up, and type of feeder and waterer you use? I have used many Waterers in the past but still haven’t found the perfect one. I am trying to start the chicks on nipples in the brooder, but I’m scared they aren’t getting enough water. What do you all recommend?

Nipples make the best waterers. If the chicks are not getting enough water then they will be hanging around that waterer all the time. If they are doing normal chicken things then they are fine. To start chicks or chickens on nipple waterers the only thing you have to do is take away all other water sources. Within a short time they will be attracted to that red plastic and the shiny metal and start to peck. Once one figures out water comes by pecking, they will all figure it out. I use horizontal nipples. They stay thawed out better than vertical nipples in Northern Montana where it gets quite chilly during the winter. Using a tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer rated for use in plastic, my water has been thawed even when it was -22 F outside.

Most of us who have chickens have used all different feeders and waterers. Eventually we find a system that works well for us.

Least fuss and ease of cleaning for me are the 5qt bell waterers commonly sold in feed stores. 2 pieces, easy to scrub clean. Small enough for most kids to help with that chore. Placed around the run on solid cinder blocks.

Best part of the nipple waterers is no mess in the water, also can be put in/on a number of vessels large or small. But any waterer still needs cleaning or maintenance, so keep that in mind in your plans.

Feeder/. We use the standard 2-piece ones commonly found in stores (we use the 7-lb size) . Hanging at back height minimizes them scraping it out.

Back
Top Bottom