Water belly after fox attack

Drana21

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2020
Hey everyone,

Our 3 year old head hen was attacked by a fox in our yard 2 days ago. (BTW, it was our CAT that initially chased the fox of her, and allowed the other two chickens to get away. I was so amazed) She got bit on her back and had several punctures. I brought her in and we cleaned out the wound and used vetericin. Then a little later we irrigated it and closed the one large gaping wound with super glue and have it dressed. I ordered some fish mox that was supposed to come in today but I’m skeptical that it really will come on time. She is inside and warm and separated, eating and drinking and alert, though not moving around a lot. The wounds are looking pretty good.

However, I just noticed that she has been drinking a LOT of water and that her abdomen seems pretty swollen and I think it is probably water belly/ascites. Do I just need to end her misery? She has been a great chicken and has already survived a hawk attack (not injured though) so she has defied death before. I have seen that you can drain the ascites, but it just buys some time and will come back. I don’t mind doing it, but if she is going to die from this attack I hate to prolong it.

Thanks!

Sometimes it helps to see pictures of wounds and other issues. Does her enlarged belly show? Does sit feel like fluid, firm, fatty, or like air? Lungs are located under skin on the back, so is there any deep damage or air leakage? Does she seem to be in shock, in pain, or unable to stand? If you suspect ascites, the yellow fluid is usually found when you insert an 18 gauge needle just under the skin in the lower abdomen.

Unless she is having labored breathing or seems very uncomfortable, I usually don’t recommend draining. Here is a video on draining a chicken with ascites:

I will take a picture when I can, but it is squishy and feels fluid-filled. I noticed it because after the attack she started to have dirty vent feathers, which I figured was secondary to her having shock and a disruption, plus she is in a small space and was just standing or sitting in one spot and wasn’t choosing to really walk around. When I cleaned her I noticed her abdomen was a little swollen and reddened in the area under her vent. Today the swelling was much worse, like a grapefruit-sized abdomen. And she is still having wet stools. She doesn’t seem to be having any breathing trouble though, and can stand fine. and when I checked on her a bit ago, she was moving around cautiously.

I will look at pictures when you get them. Does it seem more like a hernia or weakness in the abdominal wall? I have had hens with swollen bellies who lived a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom