Water belly or constipation?

Tinaliveswell

Hatching
Mar 9, 2024
Hello,
So my hen Bonnie is about 9 years old and starting a couple weeks ago I noticed Pooh Pooh on her feathers around her butt. I washed it off and noticed a big giant feels like almost a grapefruit between her legs it’s super hard. I was researching online water belly came off but it doesn’t feel squishy or soft it’s hard I’m thinking it’s blocked up poop. She is 100% not egg bound beach because she is almost 10 years old and has not laid an egg in five years. She waddles when she walks almost like she is bowlegged. Her tail points up she doesn’t look like a penguin.
I do not have an option to take her to the vet since there is not a vet within a 400 mile radius that treats chickens where I live. Not sure what to do next

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she could have coelomitis, also known as egg yolk peritonitis. It is caused by salpingitis, and there may be masses of egg material and infection inside her belly. CNcer or the oviduct is also common. I have had several old hens with this, and I usually just tried to let them be free, and feed them a balanced chicken feed and some bits of egg for a treat. I would clean her vent as needed, watch out for any yellow urates in her droppings and any lash egg material. If you think she is constipated and is having a hard time pooping, a tsp of olive oil in her egg and feed might help. Some chill coconut oil 1 or 2 tsp and cut it into small pieces for them to peck. But, hens with lash egg material and salpingitis may strain and walk more upright. She is approaching the end of her life, but 9 years and still hanging out with the flock is a good thing. When she eventually passes away, it can be good to do a necropsy, and look at the abdominal organs. I usually do that when I lose a hen, and you could post some pictures here of your findings.

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she could have coelomitis, also known as egg yolk peritonitis. It is caused by salpingitis, and there may be masses of egg material and infection inside her belly. CNcer or the oviduct is also common. I have had several old hens with this, and I usually just tried to let them be free, and feed them a balanced chicken feed and some bits of egg for a treat. I would clean her vent as needed, watch out for any yellow urates in her droppings and any lash egg material. If you think she is constipated and is having a hard time pooping, a tsp of olive oil in her egg and feed might help. Some chill coconut oil 1 or 2 tsp and cut it into small pieces for them to peck. But, hens with lash egg material and salpingitis may strain and walk more upright. She is approaching the end of her life, but 9 years and still hanging out with the flock is a good thing. When she eventually passes away, it can be good to do a necropsy, and look at the abdominal organs. I usually do that when I lose a hen, and you could post some pictures here of your findings.
Thanks for the info. I actually just brought her in the house and put her in a kennel she’s not looking too good right now. I might just have to put her down when I get home later if she still looks this bad of shape :(.
I was thinking the same thing about opening her up after she passes and seeing what’s going on inside.

Thanks agin for the info. I’m gonna get her some cold coconut oil right now.

Thanks for the info. I actually just brought her in the house and put her in a kennel she’s not looking too good right now. I might just have to put her down when I get home later if she still looks this bad of shape :(.
I was thinking the same thing about opening her up after she passes and seeing what’s going on inside.

Thanks agin for the info. I’m gonna get her some cold coconut oil right now.

Attachments

• C5423170-96A9-4DB5-A0B5-B46E00C00239.jpeg
    C5423170-96A9-4DB5-A0B5-B46E00C00239.jpeg
    615.2 KB · Views: 33
Sadly I had to euthanize Bonnie last night. The mass in her belly just got bigger almost like a grapefruit she could barely walk it was hard for her to breathe. Attached are photos graphic photos FYI. I ended up opening her up to see what this mass was and it was a bunch of smelly rubbery egg looking yuck. Bonnie is not laid an egg almost 5 years she’s older she’s almost 10 so I’m assuming this was building in her for the last four years.

Attachments

• BCB56F12-EC71-49FA-A366-DC1153F85CC0.jpeg
    BCB56F12-EC71-49FA-A366-DC1153F85CC0.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 26
  • ACF14303-3A0A-4A69-81DB-3D65221973F6.jpeg
    ACF14303-3A0A-4A69-81DB-3D65221973F6.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 27

Attachments

• C63C1223-6896-4CD3-9179-811DDC04DCF4.jpeg
    C63C1223-6896-4CD3-9179-811DDC04DCF4.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 27
  • FC5487DA-10B2-4792-BD0B-E8432DD99D0C.jpeg
    FC5487DA-10B2-4792-BD0B-E8432DD99D0C.jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 26
So sorry for your loss. It is amazing what chickens can live through. That is exactly what salpingitis and egg yolk peritonitis looks like in hens. It is mor known as coelomitis nowadays, and E.coli bacteria is one possible cause.

Back
Top Bottom