Water Belly

Alaska907

Chirping
Jun 15, 2023
Palmer , Alaska
So I thought my hen was egg bound so I put her in tub of warm water & epsom salt 2x with no result on day 3 she was breathing labored and comb pail color read everything I could looked at many videos and figured it had to be water belly. I used a 16 gauge short needle cleaned her back end and proseded to do the procedure, got about a cup of fluid. Put her back in her clean dry nesting box that I set up in basment so she didn’t get to warm or cold. When I went to check on her in A.M. she got right up came to me for a long drink of water and a snack. She was strong and didn’t give up so I could give up on her.

What color was the fluid, yellow or clear and colorless? Ascites fluid varies from yellow to amber and darker. I have had hens who had ascites for awhile, and got around okay for awhile. There are several possible causes for liver disease and ascites, and those include egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, fatty liver disease, and heart failure. Kudos to you for draining her, which has seemed to help her. There is always a risk of infection, or shock. It may help to give her some electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench to get those lytes back to normal.

It was the color of straw kinda yellowish, not really any smell to speak of. I did clean area with alcohol along with the needle. And she was very calm about the whole ordeal today she’s eating and drinking. She was eating and drinking. Just not a lot now she seems to be back to normal as far as what she’s eating . I gave her electrolytes in her water. I’m hoping to put her back in the coop tomorrow depending on the weather, I don’t want to shock. She was so full had trouble walking and plus it seem to exhaust her. But she is so much better.

It was the color of straw kinda yellowish, not really any smell to speak of. I did clean area with alcohol along with the needle. And she was very calm about the whole ordeal today she’s eating and drinking. She was eating and drinking. Just not a lot now she seems to be back to normal as far as what she’s eating . I gave her electrolytes in her water. I’m hoping to put her back in the coop tomorrow depending on the weather, I don’t want to shock. She was so full had trouble walking and plus it seem to exhaust her. But she is so much better.
I am dealing with the same thing unsure what to do this seemed to help your hen but I heard sometimes it hurts them she is also on day four and not eating at or drinking unless u cup it in my hand I’m really stressed I love her so much and don’t know what to do!!!

I am dealing with the same thing unsure what to do this seemed to help your hen but I heard sometimes it hurts them she is also on day four and not eating at or drinking unless u cup it in my hand I’m really stressed I love her so much and don’t know what to do!!!
My hen was hand raised from a day old she’s a blue sapphire she didn’t seem to mind anything I was doing to help her the warm epson salt baths and then the draining process really help her get back to normal may need to do it again in future but if it helps I’ll do what I can. But if u fell u can’t do it then best not to start something. It’s ok to be cautious you don’t want to cause more problems. Good luck with your hen I hope everything works out.

Back
Top Bottom