Water everywhere/free range

jelibn1980

Chirping
Jul 25, 2022
Ive been free ranging my chickens for about 2 months now (a few hours a day, or all day on weekends). The only water they have is inside their run, but now im worried should i have water containers around my yard as well? Or do they just walk back to the run when they get thirsty? Ive never seen them go back to drink, but im also not sitting out with them. What do yall do? Waterers all around the yard? (they have about 1 acre they can free range in)

Here's a thing. Chickens are social eaters. When free ranged over a large area (acres) what tend to happen is the seniors get to eat first and once they've eaten the group moves off.
There should always be water available with commercial feed. If one reads the commercial feed instructions the manufacturers state as much on the bag.
For the free range chicken, keeping up with the group is important and if some junior hens haven't got enough to eat when the group is at the feed station in general they will choose to move with the group rather than get left alone.
When free ranging they are not likely to return to the coop for water unless the whole group does.
I put water with the commercial feed at each feed station. I do this currently even though with the current group they are only a stones throw from the coop where water is always available.
In your case OP I would put down water whenever you put down feed. Watch what happens. You may find that they drink more water this way which is probaly a good thing.

I have nipple waterer in run 24/7/365.
When it’s not freezing I keep a xlrg water dish for my dogs in a shady spot (chickens use it). Put a med sized water dish for chickens in shady spot outside of run, too.
Both are freshened at least once a day.

IMO the chickens don’t get their thirst quenched as well with just the nipple waterers in summer. I do switch out some to cups in summer for the run, but I’m filling for the dogs anyway so its just as easy to fill two dishes.

In freezing weather just the nipple waterer in the run.

Having water available at all times encourages them to drink water. If they don't have to return to the run to drink water they're drink more frequently. Lack of water for 1 hr can cause them to not lay.

Back
Top Bottom