Watering chickens without carrying water.

lamont0113

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 1, 2014
I recently guttered my chicken house and I would like to water my chickens with it without doing any work. I can collect it in a bucket or barrel, but I would rather run it directly into a chicken waterer. The problem is most waterers operate on a vacuum. If I cut a hole in the top to let water in they probably would not work. Any ideas?
Thanks

Don't cut a hole in your waterer. Look up nipple waterers...there are lots of threads. Unfortunately they will not work in winter.

Also, I personally like my chickens to be able to dunk their beaks into the water for keeping the nostrils clean...just my opinion. So I wouldn't use nipple waterers. However, you may get some other ideas while scanning the threads.

OK, let's consider nipple waterers attatched to a gutter. I don't know anything about nipple waterers. Do they require a certain ammount of water pressure? Wouldn't the water have to be pretty clean? It is an asphalt shingle roof. There will be some grit. If I want a maintenance free waterer, am I going to have to resort to an open tub.

OK, let's consider nipple waterers attatched to a gutter. I don't know anything about nipple waterers. Do they require a certain ammount of water pressure? Wouldn't the water have to be pretty clean? It is an asphalt shingle roof. There will be some grit. If I want a maintenance free waterer, am I going to have to resort to an open tub.
I wouldn't let them drink off an asphalt shingle roof- it will have toxins in it.

You can always put up some kind of metal or plastic roofing shelter for them to get out of the rain, and then put your gutter on that. You will get quite a bit of water if you make it big enough.

I can't find any studies that show what toxins are supposed to come from an asphalt roof, anyone have a link to a study that shows toxins from an asphalt roof?

The only thing I can find is concerns about the pollutant load from the first flush. Which is the yuck that settles on the roof from the air, birds, bugs and such that washes off in the first few minutes of a rainfall. That would include the granules that come off the roof itself. There are systems that will divert the first flush and keep it out of your collection system.

The nipple systems do not require any pressure system. They are simply little valves that open and let out a little bit of water when a chicken pecks at it.

Back
Top Bottom