Watermeal for Ducklings

Yardmom

Crowing
5 Years
May 3, 2018
Waterford, PA
We have ducklings arriving by mail today. We also have a pond that has a watermeal issue. Before the ducklings are old enough for the pond should I feed them the watermeal? If I feed it along side flock raiser will I still need to add more niasin?

It can be offered sparingly alongside their sole feed. Offering too much at once will cause an imbalance of nutrients in the bird's diet. There should also be grit on the side when offering anything other than feed to help in the digestion of the matter.
If you are raising light/medium weight ducks breeds, the niacin content in Purina flock raiser will suffice, but if you are raising heavyweight breeds, they have higher niacin requirements therefore will need extra niacin supplementation regardless if they eat duckweed or not.

Thanks, I ordered a mix of breeds this time. I'm adding to my current flock. 6 of 15 will be larger (Appleyards and Pekins) They made it to the distribution center last night...They did not send them to the local post office this morning. Sure hope they put them on this afternoon's express run. Yes they will have access to small stones on the ground before they get anything besides Purina flock raiser. I still find it surprising how my clucks take the chicks to the stone piles on one of the first trips off the nest.

Back
Top Bottom