Wayward Buff Orpington Rooster 5 months

Chickwonderer

In the Brooder
May 13, 2022
Went out today like every other day , reached out to pet Buddy, 5 month old BO roo , came back with a bad peck and attack. I caught held him and gently pinned him to the ground. I pray this works. He just sat there after I let go , so I stood him up. He ran off and by the time I got to the house I heard him crowing. Now I have a barred rock same batch way larger but much sweeter. I thought BO were supposed to be gentle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220830-180734_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220830-180734_Messenger.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 2,165
  • Screenshot_20220830-181722_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220830-181722_Gallery.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220824_180512.jpg
    20220824_180512.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 3
It's not so much his breed as his age and attitude; he's going through chicken version of puberty and male hormones are flooding his system. It appears this has been developing for some time (your post 6 Aug says he pecked your daughter), and it's likely to go on a little longer, especially if you don't have more mature hens to train him. He will grow out of it, but I would stop trying to pet him; respect his space and recognize his mastery of the flock. The barred rock may be happy to go along with his dominance, or not, as his hormones kick in whenever they do, so you may have to revisit your set up in due course. I have multiple roos living harmoniously, most of the time, as do many others, so it's quite feasible, but it does depend on the individual birds' personalities as much as anything else.

Some people keep mean dogs, I don't. I don't like a mean animal. You can try and do something with him, but I wouldn't. I think I see the stink eye in the picture. If you have small children, I would not keep him.

Often times this is a warning, and often times the attacks get worse.

Mrs K

Some people keep mean dogs, I don't. I don't like a mean animal. You can try and do something with him, but I wouldn't. I think I see the stink eye in the picture. If you have small children, I would not keep him.

Often times this is a warning, and often times the attacks get worse.

Mrs K
Well I will give him time. So far he comes and eats out of the container I am holding now. When I pinned him to the ground he acted like he was scared. He stayed there lol 😆, I felt sorry and put him back on his feet after a few seconds.

He's testing the waters, and needs help if there's a chance that things will improve. As @Mrs. K said, if you have small children, send him off now.
Hand feeding, 'helping him up' and anything that makes you look like fair game isn't good. Walk through him, never around. Carry something in your hand, like a bucket, for example, and accidently bump him if he's not out of your personal space. Watch what he does all the time! If he's following you, or coming close, and then pecking the ground and/ or looking away when you look at him, actually that's a bad sign. He's thinking bad thoughts, and then pretending to do something else when you look his way.
I don't think he's going to be safe to be around...
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom