Weak chick

Bigrooster1

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
I have a chick who’s a few days old. He’s acting very lethargic and bobs his head. He doesn’t walk around much. Also his eyes are closed which could be the reason he isn’t moving. Any advice would be nice? TIA

I have a chick who’s a few days old. He’s acting very lethargic and bobs his head. He doesn’t walk around much. Also his eyes are closed which could be the reason he isn’t moving. Any advice would be nice? TIA
How many chicks do you have besides this one? Few days old chicks usually are "lethargic" as they sleep a lot. The bobbing head though is odd, especially if it's just this one. Is it eating and drinking?

If I see a chick that's acting odd, and I'm sure it's just that one, and not coccidiosis, I give them all vitamin water for one day, probiotic water the next, bottled water the next, and repeat for a week or two.

For vitamins, I use Nutri Drench or Poultry Cell
For probiotics, for baby chicks, I use Hydro Hen, for older ones, they get that or Egyptian yogurt.

How many chicks do you have besides this one? Few days old chicks usually are "lethargic" as they sleep a lot. The bobbing head though is odd, especially if it's just this one. Is it eating and drinking?

If I see a chick that's acting odd, and I'm sure it's just that one, and not coccidiosis, I give them all vitamin water for one day, probiotic water the next, bottled water the next, and repeat for a week or two.

For probiotics, for baby chicks, I use Hydro Hen, for older ones, they get that or Egyptian yogurt.
IMG_0093.jpeg

It’s like her eyes are matted shut, she hasn’t been eating and drinking. Probably because she can’t see
IMG_0095.jpeg

Last edited:

I’m not sure what to do for her eyes

I would try a warm washcloth on her eyes. Do one, then don't use the same side to do the other and see if that gets the matting cleared up. You could put some Terramycin ointment on them if you think she's got an infection, but for being just a few days old it's odd how she'd get an infection in her eyes so fast unless she hatched with something already going on.

Be sure to dip her beak in water so she's not getting dehydrated. For food, I'd mix water in some of the chick feed to make it soft and she'd probably smell it and start picking at it.

I would try a warm washcloth on her eyes. Do one, then don't use the same side to do the other and see if that gets the matting cleared up. You could put some Terramycin ointment on them if you think she's got an infection, but for being just a few days old it's odd how she'd get an infection in her eyes so fast unless she hatched with something already going on.

Be sure to dip her beak in water so she's not getting dehydrated. For food, I'd mix water in some of the chick feed to make it soft and she'd probably smell it and start picking at it.

Well this morning, unfortunately, looks like she has gotten worse. Her peeping is duller and looks to have labored breathing. She’s not walking or moving as much. I don’t know the process, but should i should go ahead and cull her? Also, I’m not sure the best way to do that either. I’m pretty new to all of this.

Well this morning, unfortunately, looks like she has gotten worse. Her peeping is duller and looks to have labored breathing. She’s not walking or moving as much. I don’t know the process, but should i should go ahead and cull her? Also, I’m not sure the best way to do that either. I’m pretty new to all of this.
I am so sorry. Some chicks just fail to thrive.

At that age, it's pretty easy to do, just hard on us.

I had to do this once. I used a kitchen scissors to snip its neck. I did it over the garbage can so the little bit of blood and head would drop into a plastic bag I had open in there. I sealed the bag up and left it in the garbage can.

Good luck, and again, I am so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom