Week old Dominique Chick Pasty Butt

tgperg

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
Oklahoma City
1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Dominique cockerel, one week old, weighs 21 grams compared to 40 gram hatch mate same age

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Weak, listless, will only drink if liquid dribbled on side of beak. Has pasty butt.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

This bird has been weaker than the others since it hatched last week. I posted at that time. I spent its first afternoon giving it electrolytes and sugar water. It was up and hopping around so I gave it to the broody mom to care for along with the other birds (5 from her hatch + 10, including the weaker one, from a local hatchery. It was not shipped, I drove to pick them up. Time out of brooder to my house under heat lamp was about 2 - 3 hours. I have been checking them every day and all the chicks were moving around and eating and drinking. Today I picked them up to count them and found this one looking very weak. it also had a pasty butt. Its umbilical cord was attached when I received it last week, it is still present today. Pasty butt is new. It did not have that on day 1 of life.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

None.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No sign of trauma. Site around umbilical cord is reddened and looks as though it might possibly be infected.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

As far as I know it was just weaker at birth.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Water and medicated chick crumbles in the broody box with mom and siblings.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

The only poop I've seen is the yellow stuff caked on its bum.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

I brought it inside with one other chick for company and put it in a box under a heat lamp. I washed off the poop until we were down to clean feathers and pink skin around its vent. I dried it with a towel and then a hair dryer on low. I mixed sugar and electrolytes in water and have been administering it via syringe to the side of the beak. I also took a fresh egg (laid today) and separated the yolk and have been giving the chick fresh egg yolk.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I'm going to treat it myself. My husband would hit the roof if I took a weak sickly chick to the vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

This is the chick in question.

75821_img_8075.jpg

Here is the chick last week.

75821_img_8041.jpg

Here is the umbilical site today.

75821_img_8074.jpg

Here it is last week.

75821_img_8043.jpg

Here is the chick next to its healthy hatchmate.

75821_img_8078.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Mama hen's broody box is in the main coop. Straw nest with wood shavings / chips on the floor with a towel over it. Entire coop was cleaned out and new shavings put in two days before Mama hen went into the broody box.

It sounds like you're doing everything you can, tgperg. Sometimes a chick hatches without everything functioning internally. And sometimes as you've noticed the umbilical site can become infected and the chick can develop septicemia.

These are just guesses, I hope the chick is strong and fights through... But day 7 without food is a little grim.

I hope he makes it.

Additional info: It looks like Staph Aureus is the likely culprit for an umbilical infection according to Merck. So, I've added a teeny dose (sorry, 21 grams hurts my head to even try to figure dose by kilogram, so I just put in a tiny bit of the powder) of Tetracycline (I checked, it's one of the drugs that may work even if it's Methycillin resistant staph aureus) to the water / electrolyte / sugar mixture. AND OMG! THE BIRD JUST POOPED IN MY BRA!!! WHOO HOO!!! It's tan/greenish and white. It's got some solids in it but it's liquidy. Not as solid as its hatchmate's poop was. I also smeared some triple antibiotic on the umbilical site.

Any other ideas?

Erica, thank you for your kind wishes. The chick didn't make it. I was holding it and it just died. I appreciate your reply though.

Traci

Back
Top Bottom