Weird behavior or normal?

Pinx

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Amarillo, Texas
My chicks got to spend their first night in their real coop last night, of course seperated from the larger chickens. Anyway I was out there this morning watching them and the ducks play in the water when my roo/cockrell (don't know when he becomes a roo lol) who is about 11 weeks old laid down a couple of feet from me, and the hen and my silkie (I think its a hen) came up next to him, the barred hen laid down beside him and shoved her head in the feathers on his back like she was hiding... and she just laid there like that for a few minutes until my roo got up. When he got up so did she and then he put his head under her wing... THEN he went to my silkie and tried to crawl underneath "her". What is going on? Is this normal chicken behavior that I've never seen before or has my roo lost his marbles lol. It looked like he was trying to get the silkie to mount him... weird...
It wasn't hot out yet, and it was no where near cool, it was pretty warm... none of them were panting.

Also my roo has started grabbing my barred hen by her neck feathers and just drags her around... is he trying to figure out what he is supposed to be doing? Or is he just being mean? I think I have a sexually confused roo
lau.gif

If it's not cold outside, I'd say it's just normal behavior. My hens, including the very old ladies, do this a lot. They'll just stack up on each other and lay in the sun for a while. Sometimes a foot smashes into somebody's eye and wing feathers fly everywhere until they get it all figured out. It's entertaining to watch, I'll say that much
lol.png

I'd say your rooster is definitely reaching "that age." I know he may seem mean, but he's probably just figuring everything out. Hopefully he'll, err, know what to do soon!

Back
Top Bottom