Weird coloring on hens face

Livie8978

Hatching
Jul 27, 2023
Hi! We noticed one of our hens has some weird light coloring around both her ears. She’s about 5 months old. It’s been very cold here lately. Could this be frostbite? I’m new to chicken keeping so I’m not sure. Could it just be her breed? I didn’t notice them like this before but I could have just not noticed until now. All my other chickens seem normal and besides the coloring she’s acting fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4174.jpeg
    IMG_4174.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 8
How old is she? Sometimes their earlobe color changes as they continue to mature. Takes at least 2 years to fully mature generally for a full size chicken.

How old is she? Sometimes their earlobe color changes as they continue to mature. Takes at least 2 years to fully mature generally for a full size chicken.
She’s only about 5 months. I didn’t realize it could continue to change. I was just worried about her. Thank you.

She’s only about 5 months. I didn’t realize it could continue to change. I was just worried about her. Thank you.
That's pretty young, and that's the time when the hormones for egg laying start to come into play and she matures more in order to lay. I've seen changes in my hens' earlobes and bodies at this time, and then as they continue to mature over the next few months up to a year or so, sometimes things change again. I wouldn't worry about your hen, she sounds fine. Have fun with your sweet chicken!

Back
Top Bottom