Weird looking eggs

Trice71

In the Brooder
May 4, 2022
Does anyone know why one of my hens is laying such weird looking eggs? Could she be sick or lacking something? She is a year old, I feed them purina Layena and they get treats and veggies. They are not free range. Lately they are all oblong and have a thick ring around them. This one is a lighter brown than normal too.

Appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpeg
    IMG_1416.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 47
I started noticing that there oblong shaped in early spring but within the last 2 to 3 weeks they’ve started being weirdly shaped, large with that thick ring around them

Thank you for the article, you’re right. It does look like that type. The shells are not really thin when I break them but the yolks often break. I am in the process of extending their run. The flock is small, only 4 hens but I’ll sure they’d love more room.

My black sexlink has oblong eggs. I don't think that is abnormal, per se, unless it changed. She had a few of those come through, then she stopped, but 2-3 weeks is kind of a while.

Thank you for the article, you’re right. It does look like that type. The shells are not really thin when I break them but the yolks often break. I am in the process of extending their run. The flock is small, only 4 hens but I’ll sure they’d love more room.
Do you want to post a photo of your setup? We can tell if they are crowded or not.

Yeah, oblong is normal for some hens. Body checked? You want to see that go away soon, or at least come infrequently. Otherwise something may be going on that needs to be addressed.

Back
Top Bottom