Welbar Hen Red Irritated Patches on Legs

FloridaAlicat

Hatching
Aug 14, 2023
Hello, I have a 6 month old Welbar hen with some Red patches of skin on her legs, I noticed them a few days ago, and as of today they don’t seem to be getting worse, but they also don’t seem to be getting better. I haven’t noticed a behavior change in her, and she still seems to be eating and drinking totally normally. With the current heat wave I’m maybe being a little over-cautious, but I figure better to ask if anyone else knows what this is since all that my searching has turned up is “Mites” and I don’t think this fits with the example images/descriptions.

I’m thinking that I might soak her feet/legs in warm epsom salt water and spray her legs with Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Poultry Care Spray after but if it’s something else that someone might recognize I’d love to do more specific care.

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    569 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    832.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    560.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2368.jpeg
    IMG_2368.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 11
Could just be the flush of red some birds develop as they sexually mature. I see it more in roosters, but I'm sure some hens can develop it as well. The left leg looks more like that with the consistent coloring down the leg. The splotchy right leg looks a bit off, but it may be nothing. I would keep an eye on them for signs of scale mites just in case.

Back
Top Bottom