Chipmunk Chicks

Free Ranging
May 24, 2022
New Jersey, USA
We just purchased our first ducklings!!! Thanks for the nudge @Evermore We have three Welsh Harlequin ducks and one drake coming from Metzer's w/o June 27th. However, the more I read on BYC, I have heard mixed reviews about their stock. These may be outdated reviews however, since so many point to Holderread's, and they no longer sell ducklings.

Metzer's comes with duck insurance, they will replace if anything happens within a year, so that is nice because we do have predators and they will mostly be allowed to free range before going into the coop at night.

I can also order at this time from Murray McMurray for a similar cost, (without duck insurance), but they offer a showing certificate, (not that we plan to show), but that was a lot of the feedback I saw - that the Metzer's stock doesn't seem to look too standard, and may not lay as well as the breed is capable. I just want to order the most quality stock I can, since I am hoping for lots of eggs, ducklings and some longevity to the flock.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

I have previously read several posts in the past that McMurray buys their waterfowl from Metzer. So you may as well buy them from Metzer. I got my Welsh harlequin from Metzer and have been happy with them. If you are looking for ones that lay lots of eggs, their breeding stock may not have the highest laying rate compared to others.

We just purchased our first ducklings!!! Thanks for the nudge @Evermore We have three Welsh Harlequin ducks and one drake coming from Metzer's w/o June 27th. However, the more I read on BYC, I have heard mixed reviews about their stock. These may be outdated reviews however, since so many point to Holderread's, and they no longer sell ducklings.

Metzer's comes with duck insurance, they will replace if anything happens within a year, so that is nice because we do have predators and they will mostly be allowed to free range before going into the coop at night.

I can also order at this time from Murray McMurray for a similar cost, (without duck insurance), but they offer a showing certificate, (not that we plan to show), but that was a lot of the feedback I saw - that the Metzer's stock doesn't seem to look too standard, and may not lay as well as the breed is capable. I just want to order the most quality stock I can, since I am hoping for lots of eggs, ducklings and some longevity to the flock.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
I ordered 2 Welsh Harlequins from Metzer's last year and have been very happy with them. They were supposed to be both females but one turned out to be a drake, and they now have a 12 week old daughter. They are beautiful and calm birds. I can't speak specifically for laying ability because I'm not sure whose eggs are whose. But my ducks from Metzer all lay very well as a flock.
Drake:
IMG_20211030_111045_800.jpg

Mother hen:
IMG_20220612_150456_899.jpg

12 week old daughter:
IMG_20220612_150703_464.jpg

I have previously read several posts in the past that McMurray buys their waterfowl from Metzer. So you may as well buy them from Metzer. I got my Welsh harlequin from Metzer and have been happy with them. If you are looking for ones that lay lots of eggs, their breeding stock may not have the highest laying rate compared to others.
Lol That is good to know! I had not heard that, but that does make it easier to know I might as well get from Meters anyway. Thank you!

I guess that vega the question, what is this "other" stock that may lay more? I didn't see Ideal or Cackle had them right now; I can't remember if Meyer did, I looked at poultry.com (or something like that) is my pet chicken different? I thought it was the same story, they source from Murray McMurray... Etc.

I ordered 2 Welsh Harlequins from Metzer's last year and have been very happy with them. They were supposed to be both females but one turned out to be a drake, and they now have a 12 week old daughter. They are beautiful and calm birds. I can't speak specifically for laying ability because I'm not sure whose eggs are whose. But my ducks from Metzer all lay very well as a flock.
Drake:
View attachment 3145772

Mother hen:
View attachment 3145773

12 week old daughter:
View attachment 3145774
Your birds are SO BEAUTIFUL!!! 😍 Wow! That is really a happy success story, and makes me feel so much better about our decision! Thank you! I was hoping to replace my nerves with pure excitement for their arrival, and you have helped me do that.

Your birds are SO BEAUTIFUL!!! 😍 Wow! That is really a happy success story, and makes me feel so much better about our decision! Thank you! I was hoping to replace my nerves with pure excitement for their arrival, and you have helped me do that.
Thank you! I am sure you will love yours :). They are a great breed.

Lol That is good to know! I had not heard that, but that does make it easier to know I might as well get from Meters anyway. Thank you!

I guess that vega the question, what is this "other" stock that may lay more? I didn't see Ideal or Cackle had them right now; I can't remember if Meyer did, I looked at poultry.com (or something like that) is my pet chicken different? I thought it was the same story, they source from Murray McMurray... Etc.
I don't think you will see much of a difference how much the ducks lay from large hatcheries. I don't remember which ones lay more, it may have been Holderreads. Mine are pretty decent layers. I will also say the more a duck lays eggs the more likely it may have potential reproductive health issues. Unless you are really needing a lot of eggs, I don't think you would really notice much of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom