Wet Feather, and a Fluffy Under Belly?

@Isaac 0 is another member knowledgeable about ducks. Can you look carefully over the skin for mites and lice or theirs eggs and droppings? Here is a good article with pictures:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
She’s so fluffy I can’t see any on her back, vent or neck areas. Her feathers when we got her weren’t great, dry, split and no tail feathers, this was only 2 weeks a go. Presumed due to weather as it was very mucky on the ground due to the amount of rain in U.K., and maybe she had molted but wrong time of year.

She’s happy and friendly but I do think under weight, even though she eats well. Also when thinking about it she does over preen on her belly which is mainly fluffy and bald. Which now is making me think feather lice rather than a preen gland issue.

Do you know the people you got her from? what did they feed her? How was she kept? You are going to have to hold her down and look her over real good to see if mites, lice will attach to the feather shafts. It can take time to get to the skin for examination. Or just treat her just in case.
You can get Permitherin dust put some into a bag place her down into the bag feet first then close the bag around her neck while holding her underneath too then shake gently to cover all her body keep her out of water for at least 24 hr. You can use your fingers to cover her head if you see anything climbing up onto her head. Or buy Poultry protector it's is very safe to use and is a spray. I used Ivermectin pour one on my chickens for the prevention of mites. That goes on the skin of the neck like you do flea treatment for a dog.

I would also get her on some extra protein which is really good for feather growth and health Something like dried mealworms or dry cat food or dog food just make sure it is high quality and small so she doesn't choke. My flock loves dry dog kibble and since my min Dachshund eats small breed food they get that as a treat along with dry mealworm.

If she has wet feather it is suggested using Dawn dish detergent one time rinse well and then keep her from bathing for a few days.

Do you know the people you got her from? what did they feed her? How was she kept? You are going to have to hold her down and look her over real good to see if mites, lice will attach to the feather shafts. It can take time to get to the skin for examination. Or just treat her just in case.
You can get Permitherin dust put some into a bag place her down into the bag feet first then close the bag around her neck while holding her underneath too then shake gently to cover all her body keep her out of water for at least 24 hr. You can use your fingers to cover her head if you see anything climbing up onto her head. Or buy Poultry protector it's is very safe to use and is a spray. I used Ivermectin pour one on my chickens for the prevention of mites. That goes on the skin of the neck like you do flea treatment for a dog.

I would also get her on some extra protein which is really good for feather growth and health Something like dried mealworms or dry cat food or dog food just make sure it is high quality and small so she doesn't choke. My flock loves dry dog kibble and since my min Dachshund eats small breed food they get that as a treat along with dry mealworm.

If she has wet feather it is suggested using Dawn dish detergent one time rinse well and then keep her from bathing for a few days.
Thanks, really good tips. She was from a duck breed. The dark Campbell looks good but the khakis feathers weren’t great. Very new to ducks, so learning all the time. I have noticed today she’s started to molt now.

Can I ask why Diatomaceous Earth is so bad?, in the U.K. any lice and mite powder for poultry is basically this, and it’s recommended on the British hen welfare. Could this not be used in the bag method as you said?

When my chickens had mites I had DE and used it and it did nothing so the bag I had went to putting a small amount in a 50 lb bag of feed to keep it fresh once I poured it into the metal container I kept the feed in.

If it's recommended in the UK go ahead and try it but if you haven't bought any yet I would buy a small bag or container before buying it in a big one.
It is definitely not good to breathe in.
this is what I have heard
There isn't enough reliable information available to know if diatomaceous earth is safe or what the side effects might be. Side effects in people who work with diatomaceous earth in large amounts include serious lung problems, even lung cancer. When rubbed on the skin, diatomaceous earth might cause wounds or loss of parts of the skin.

When my chickens had mites I had DE and used it and it did nothing so the bag I had went to putting a small amount in a 50 lb bag of feed to keep it fresh once I poured it into the metal container I kept the feed in.

If it's recommended in the UK go ahead and try it but if you haven't bought any yet I would buy a small bag or container before buying it in a big one.
It is definitely not good to breathe in.
this is what I have heard
There isn't enough reliable information available to know if diatomaceous earth is safe or what the side effects might be. Side effects in people who work with diatomaceous earth in large amounts include serious lung problems, even lung cancer. When rubbed on the skin, diatomaceous earth might cause wounds or loss of parts of the skin.
Interesting. I’ve always used the stuff in the U.K. on our hens and it’s worked a miracle. A old hen i have had lice and very under the weather, but within a few days she was back to her younger self like it never happened.

Just wondered if it was a duck reason not to use it. As in U.K. it’s more associated with chickens, but they are a lot more common here.

When I rubbed her gland my fingers had a clear liquid straight away, I wouldn’t say oil texture but not so wet it was like water.

Just looked at this, not really available in U.K., Amazon do have it bits it’s £104 or 130 dollars for 3 of them.

May be DE and keep her from bathing, just enough for her beak and eyes, for a couple of days instead.

Once she finishes molt and grows in her new feathers she will be gorgeous. anything powder we use on or birds we have to be extremely careful with they have fragile respiratory system and so do we.

Interesting. I’ve always used the stuff in the U.K. on our hens and it’s worked a miracle. A old hen i have had lice and very under the weather, but within a few days she was back to her younger self like it never happened.

Just wondered if it was a duck reason not to use it. As in U.K. it’s more associated with chickens, but they are a lot more common here.

When I rubbed her gland my fingers had a clear liquid straight away, I wouldn’t say oil texture but not so wet it was like water.
You should see some yellow substance along with it feeling oily.

Back
Top Bottom