What’s going on why red feet

Are you using a chicken waterer? Are you having a hard time keeping it clean and dry? I ask because it looks like it might be nitrogen burn. Standing in wet, dirty shavings can burn their feet.
If you think that might be it, you need to get rid of that waterer. Instead, use a plastic container with a plastic lid with holes cut out of the lid, similar to your feeder. You can also use a feeder filled with water. It also helps to put the waterer on a tray covered with mesh to I catch the water.
Interesting point-
We raise quite a few ducklings (Welsh harlequin) in the spring and summer, and I’ve never seen this.

But we start w the brooder about 90 on the warm side / ~75/80 on the cool side on hatch day- when they are coming out of the incubator in pairs and often still a bit damp, and cut it to 85 on the warm side as soon as they are dry.

We also start them (both in the incubator and the brooder) on non slip rug mats; over the “grid” in the incubator, and over the shavings in the brooder for the first several days - and transition to the outdoor brooder w a “mommas heating pad” set up by day 5-7 if they aren’t headed off to their new home by then.

I do start them w a 1 liter “chick” waterer, w a few shiny stones in it - because I also often hatch turkey poults at the same time that I’m hatching ducklings.

The ducklings are great about teaching the poults to drink. And the poults are great at helping the ducklings find their food.

The “chick” waterer is deep enough for the ducklings to clean their nares when they are tiny, and almost all of our ducklings and poults are pre sold... so, they only stay w us for 2-3 days to make sure everyone is eating and drinking well before they go to their new homes.

And. If they stay for whatever reason, the waterer gets stepped up between 5-10 days - depending on growth rate.

I clean my brooders daily, and, after maybe day 3-5, I set the waterer on a piece of plywood to keep the wet mess to a minimum w the ducklings.
I’d say the plywood is probably at least 12x12” without going to measure it.
Large enough to give several inches on all sides of the waterer for everyone to get to it. And larger for the “step up” waterers” if they move to the bigger brooders.

I’m sure I can find photos if that would be helpful. Please just lmk

Interesting point-
We raise quite a few ducklings (Welsh harlequin) in the spring and summer, and I’ve never seen this.

But we start w the brooder about 90 on the warm side / ~75/80 on the cool side on hatch day- when they are coming out of the incubator in pairs and often still a bit damp, and cut it to 85 on the warm side as soon as they are dry.

We also start them (both in the incubator and the brooder) on non slip rug mats; over the “grid” in the incubator, and over the shavings in the brooder for the first several days - and transition to the outdoor brooder w a “mommas heating pad” set up by day 5-7 if they aren’t headed off to their new home by then.

I do start them w a 1 liter “chick” waterer, w a few shiny stones in it - because I also often hatch turkey poults at the same time that I’m hatching ducklings.

The ducklings are great about teaching the poults to drink. And the poults are great at helping the ducklings find their food.

The “chick” waterer is deep enough for the ducklings to clean their nares when they are tiny, and almost all of our ducklings and poults are pre sold... so, they only stay w us for 2-3 days to make sure everyone is eating and drinking well before they go to their new homes.

And. If they stay for whatever reason, the waterer gets stepped up between 5-10 days - depending on growth rate.

I clean my brooders daily, and, after maybe day 3-5, I set the waterer on a piece of plywood to keep the wet mess to a minimum w the ducklings.
I’d say the plywood is probably at least 12x12” without going to measure it.
Large enough to give several inches on all sides of the waterer for everyone to get to it. And larger for the “step up” waterers” if they move to the bigger brooders.

I’m sure I can find photos if that would be helpful. Please just lmk
I use the chick waterer for the first couple days too. But, the feed stores do not know to tell people to stop using them later. The ducklings can empty them quickly and make a grand mess. People who have to leave their ducklings for work can’t keep up very well.

I use the chick waterer for the first couple days too. But, the feed stores do not know to tell people to stop using them later. The ducklings can empty them quickly and make a grand mess. People who have to leave their ducklings for work can’t keep up very well.
So what should I use for water?

Yes please find a picture for me

Yes please find a picture for me
Sure.
F39750BA-BA76-467A-871C-26A700203CA6.jpeg
ED6BB506-DD1E-47BE-8CC0-F2C487D1A5DE.jpeg
F5C84069-5355-45E9-85D1-758FA6E03B01.jpeg

So what should I use for water?
May I also suggest this milk jug design, saw it elsewhere on this forum and it works great. I found it makes much less of a mess than tupperware with holes in the top. Can't step in it or poop in it. Just need to make sure they can only fit their heads in. Mine started going through water so quickly that I just graduated them to another milk jug with holes cut higher up, for more water capacity.

Attachments

• 20240323_225503.jpg
    20240323_225503.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom