What age to trim/cut off roo's spurs

Momma Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Missouri
I've read about people trimming back or cutting off their roosters spur's. I just recently noticed that my RIR's are beginning to develop. Since my chickens free range in the same yard my small kidos play in & with my roo proving to be a very protective fellow. I was thinking it might be a good precaution to eliminate his spurs or at least trim them back. Which ever is recommended. My roo is 6 months old. How do I go about this process?

He seems a little to young to be having his spurs trimmed. I doubt very much they can do much harm.

When they are long and pointy and youre hens backs are starting to show wear and tear on there wings or showing skin, it would be time to trim them. Also, If they are aggressive roosters and the spurs are long enough and pointy!!!

JUst my opinion,
Toni

Trimming spurs will NOT stop siding roosters from hurting children. Consider your liabilities and keep those birds penned when kids are around.

The spurs don't really become instruments of doom until a rooster is two years old or more. That's when the true hooks fully develop and also the ability to use them with precision.

I happen to like a crusty old rooster that commands respect overseeing my birds. Keeps the riffraff outta the pen.
lol.png

I try to trim them when they get pretty sharp. I don't do it very often, but sometimes they get kind of lethal, and just for the birds protection from each other, I'll trim them back just enough to round them off or blunt them. My birds aren't free ranging, so I'm not too concerned about them using them for protection.

Back
Top Bottom