What am I?

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
22826_100_2266.jpg

I adopted this little girl from Carolina Waterfowl Rescue. Is she mixed with something? Silkie something? She was rescued from someone that was neglecting all his chickens. All were underfed and very thin. She is thin too. After a complete help check up, all the birds were healthy and up for adoption. There were seramas, ameraucanas, this little girl and other bantams like barred rocks. So is she a silkie/serama or can a silkie have feathers like this? Thanks for any help!

p.s. she is very, very sweet and cuddly.

Maybe but I think I have 4 of those! I had an accidental mating with a Cochin roo and bantam Sultan hens. Mine are still teenagers but look very similar to this bird only they are splash and blue. Just starting to get their crests. I believe yours could be at least half Sultan?

I was thinking Sultan too, because she doesn't have the dark legs/skin most Silkie mixes have. Does she have short legs or is that just the picture? Can you take some more pics from different angles? I love her huge beard!

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my two older chicks. Obvious roo and his sister. They were hatched July 4th. They only have 4 toes but their mom certainly has 5. Their skin color is slate like a Sultan too. I am not sure how toe number figures into genetics? I see yours has 5 toes.

51664_old-chicks.jpg

I was thinking sultan, too!!! Must be it. Her face really reminds me of my sultan. What kind of comb? If I had to guess, and I am by no means and expert at mixing breeds, I would guess sultan crossed with maybe a salmon faverolle or EE/Ameraucana

Quote:
Her comb is like a little V at the top. She is small like a silkie. Everything I read about Sultans seems to be true to her except for color. Are Sultans only white?

Last edited:
Yes, they are only white. And their poufs are much much bigger, I have to trim my bantam sultan's so she can see where she's going. Otherwise she runs into things. Yours is def a cross, but looks like at least half sultan.
smile.png

My sultans are a year and a half now. They too had large round top hats. Now that they are older they don't seem as big and it really does help with the vision thing. They are kind of like Mr. Magoo-just walking around in their own world. The chicks only have a small V shaped top hat as you can see similar to yours. I imagine that you could tell when she get older by the comb. Sultans have a V-shaped comb. A silkie is a walnut, so as she grows you should be able to tell much easier her heritage.

Back
Top Bottom