What are the chances... Leghorn Broody?

Orphy

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Magnolia, TX
I have a leghorn that has been sitting on a nest of eggs for over 4 hours. I went out there around 10:30 and she was on the nest, I just went out there and she is still there. Not really doing much, just sitting and dozing. I know these won't normally go broody, I have never had a broody so I don't know what their behavior would be like.

She make a strange noise when anyone gets near the nest and puffs up real big. She is setting on 6 eggs, 5 are ceramic, I was trying to get my buff Orphington to go broody but this one seems to have taken up the nest all day.

Does it sound like she is broody? and what are the chances it will last? She hasn't laid an egg on the nest, the one real one she is sitting on is from the BO. Has anyone ever had a leghorn go broody, do they even exist? LOL

Any chicken can go broody. Some are just more prone than others. Just like you could get a silke that will never try to set, it is very unlikly but possable. It sounds like your hen is broody she might set on them the full 21 days and she might not. It just depends on the hen.

wait for a couple days and see if she is in there even at night i hope she is
fl.gif

Last edited:
Just went and checked again, and she is sleeping with the others
sad.png
I guess 8 hrs is her max LOL
Oh well, I still have 2 BO that might go broody once spring starts.

Most of the time it takes a broody chicken a couple of days to really get broody but the signs are there. Just keep an eye on her the next couple days and maybe she will surprise you and hatch eggs for you.
good luck
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom