What are the chances the incubator eggs have failed?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
What are the chances the incubator eggs have failed?

I wanted to ask this...

And below are the details to help with input.

Basically the light bulb burned out in a homemade incubator and it was out for a full day. Then I lost another half a day because the newer bulb type wasn't the same heat as the old one, so I had to tweak it over time.

So its probably less than 2 days still with not a lot of day, with early stage 1st week of incubation on eggs. I'd only started this about 4 days ago.

What do you think?

And in the future, what's the max amount of time the light/heat source can be off without ruining the hatch?

I wonder also, has anyone ever done research on assigning average hatch rates to average temperatures?

LIke the average hatch rate success rate for 85 degrees, the average for 90 degrees, the average for 93 degrees, and so on.

There may be academic articles of the like. However, I can tell you that any deviation, up or down, from 99.5 F will lower the hatch rate. Higher is worse than lower because over 104 for any length of time will kill them straight away, whereas 95F won't kill them but eventually they will fail due to disproportionate development of body systems will kill most.

I wonder also, has anyone ever done research on assigning average hatch rates to average temperatures?

LIke the average hatch rate success rate for 85 degrees, the average for 90 degrees, the average for 93 degrees, and so on.
Here is one guide that has look at several studies (page 29 in the link below);

"Molenaar R. et al (2010) noted that a shell temperature of 37.5-38.0°C (99.5-100.4°F) during the complete incubation period gives the best hatch and chick quality results".

"For most chicken species, the optimum incubation temperature is found between 37.0-38.0°C (98.6-100.4°F), although it is even possible to hatch under temperatures that vary between 35.0-40.2°C (95.0-104.4°F)".

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Back
Top Bottom