What Breed Are These Ducklings?

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello! I have four ducklings that I hatched, but I’m not sure what kind they are. They look similar to mallard ducklings, but I know that they aren’t mallards because they hatched from slightly elongated brownish-cream colored eggs. Compared to a standard brown chicken egg it looks a tiny bit olive-tinted, and about the same size. They also have bills that are slightly wider at the end. A couple of the ducklings are a dark brown, and the other two look a tiny bit more grayish. That may just be the fuzz that’s still coming off of them, but I don’t think it is. I’m thinking maybe a northern shoveler?
295B30D5-3783-4D01-92AE-546FCF70D525.jpeg
F2F6ED68-2E3F-4510-88AB-2ABA9D3CBDFF.jpeg 9B6BEFEF-A69B-4054-A0E1-AE67196AD20A.jpeg 47F4683E-7B89-4DBC-A660-F93E57918624.jpeg
TIA for any suggestions!

I found them at a small pond near me, and I took them from a nest that the mom was not sitting on…
I live close to Phoenix, AZ.

I found them at a small pond near me, and I took them from a nest that the mom was not sitting on…
I live close to Phoenix, AZ.
I'm not great with wild ducks, but the first pic does look more like a mallard. If they were domestic I'd say the rest look like mallard mixes, but I don't think wild mallards mate with other wild breeds of duck. Is there a possibility of a domestic duck that was dumped there and now lives on the pond?

According to Cornell, the Northern Shoveler has
"Pale olive-buff to pale green-gray eggs.. Due to dirt or staining, eggs often become darker as incubation progresses."

That would be neat to have shovelers but, unfortunately,, what you did is illegal.
https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/MBirdTreatyAct.aspx

You should either turn them in to an authorized rehabber or stop talking about them.
Uh oh! I didn’t know it was illegal… I could get a rehabber to care for them. Thanks for the tip!

And by the way, your description of shoveler eggs makes it sound like that’s what they are. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom