What breed are we?

Szack

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
Hi there! I’m in a bit of a pickle over what chicken breed I have? The story goes we bought 12 day old Light Sussex with no idea or the gender. We hoped to have a few hens for eggs and any males we intended to either give away or eat. My chicks are now 10 weeks old.

Now I’m no expert but the male Sussex were easy to identify from about 3 weeks old but a couple of my hens seem to have developed a red crest and large tail feathers and are much more pushy. These particular birds chance my Aylesbury duck around already. I’m hoping some one might be able to tell me what bread these red crested birds might be and if they might be roosters? (See pic)
C9CBD40F-917E-476E-8B16-C7DD4E817899.jpeg

My guess is a Leghorn or possibly a Rhode Island White. I gotta say I was hoping my Sussex would have a bit of black on them by now??? Can anyone shine any light on that?

many thanks

Attachments

• 0C95AD24-8639-4339-A3E3-AB1F79E8C903.jpeg
    0C95AD24-8639-4339-A3E3-AB1F79E8C903.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Leghorns have single comb, yellow legs and white earlobes.

Rocks have yellow legs, single combs and red earlobes.

I see white earlobes, so my guess is Leghorns.

Hi there! I’m in a bit of a pickle over what chicken breed I have? The story goes we bought 12 day old Light Sussex with no idea or the gender. We hoped to have a few hens for eggs and any males we intended to either give away or eat. My chicks are now 10 weeks old.

Now I’m no expert but the male Sussex were easy to identify from about 3 weeks old but a couple of my hens seem to have developed a red crest and large tail feathers and are much more pushy. These particular birds chance my Aylesbury duck around already. I’m hoping some one might be able to tell me what bread these red crested birds might be and if they might be roosters? (See pic)View attachment 2191123

My guess is a Leghorn or possibly a Rhode Island White. I gotta say I was hoping my Sussex would have a bit of black on them by now??? Can anyone shine any light on that?

many thanks
Leghorn. I see a clear roo.

Back
Top Bottom