What breed is this little lady?

Interesting. Since I have never bred chicks before, is the rule of thumb the egg color primarily comes from the rooster? If she is part EE, she has no tint to her egg as far as a blue or green.

EE's do not always lay a blue or green egg. They are crossbreds themselves and can lay brown or pink eggs as well as the blue or green. It would have been more conclusive if she layed a blue egg, but perfectly possible without, too. Also, EE's are found in virtually every backyard flock. Who that has chickens doesn't want a colored egg layer? Of course there are more choices now , but EE's are by far the most common, and you have hens because you want those colored eggs. And then people hatch them... And we have a lot of interesting and unique chickens running around. Those eggs wind up in school programs and get hatched and then the chicks get adopted out to families and then they are sometimes given away... As to egg color coming from the rooster, I don't think that is true... And I believe Polish chickens lay a white egg, actually.

Back
Top Bottom