What breed would you recommend?

Sir Chicken

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
I am wanting to add some new chickens to my flock. What breeds would you recommend? They need to be cold tolerant and pretty good mothers. Egg laying isn't very important. They need to be docile and good in confinement. Any input would be great. Thanks

I am wanting to add some new chickens to my flock. What breeds would you recommend? They need to be cold tolerant and pretty good mothers. Egg laying isn't very important. They need to be docile and good in confinement. Any input would be great. Thanks

What is it about the breed(s) that you currently maintain, that appeals to you?

What do you like about them?

What would you change?

These are places to start when contemplating a new breed.

Last edited:
Ameraucanas, Buff Orpingtons and Wyandottes, my favorite breeds. Silver Laced Wyandottes (SLW) would be a pretty addition to your flock. Buff orpingtons are devoted moms and docile, friendly softies. Ameraucanas are my all-time favorite. They're beautifully colored with cute muffs and pea combs, and lay pretty pale green and blue eggs. They're the chicken fad right now :)

It depends on where you live and what you want out of your chickens. Friendly and good cooped up stick with Orpingtons because they are the easiest to find that have a good disposition. But salmon favorelle are nice just less common. And if you want a dumb chicken to sit around and be friendly find you a cornish cross meat chicken, itll just stay around the food and water and not be aggressive at all

Thank you all for your input. I think I'll get some Wyandottes, Australorps, and Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom