What breed

Look's almost like an african to me, it just doesn't have that knob so maybe its a mix

Looks alot like a French Toulouse saw the video on Face book watched it over and over thank you for sharing can always watch it again......
I have French Toulouse.

French Toulouse are pretty much just production Toulouse, only that Metzer sourced them from Toulouse France from local farmers/ owners. That I know of only Metzer uses the term “French Toulouse” for this specific breeding project of theirs because they sourced them from Toulouse.
They look pretty much like any production Toulouse other than they are more prone to having the occasional white feathers here and there, French Toulouse and production Toulouse are essentially just domestic grey geese, there really isn’t any kind of pure pedigree or standard traits as compared to exhibition Toulouse.

These are French Toulouse, all except the furthest to right who’s half Buff.

8A1893A6-96BE-4E90-8EC0-1011676C4A96.jpeg

Toulouse much like every breed from Western Europe is derived from the wild greylag goose Anser anser.

African or brown Chinese geese on the other hand are derived from the wild swan goose Anser cygnoides and like their ancestor have the characteristic stripe down the back of the neck, they can have a greyish coloration but are often more brownish, Toulouse are never brown, Anser anser lacks that gene.
Not to be confused with buff, which is another gene altogether.

A2FE35EA-3F6E-47AC-AF97-F680E54FCBC4.jpeg

“Image sourced from Wiki”

Africans and Chinese also have a knob, it can take a few years to develop into the characteristic big knob, brown Chinese and Africans also have a black bill, in older individuals it can begin to turn orange, they also have a more upright posture than domestic Anser anser. The difference between an African and Chinese is that Chinese geese tend to have longer necks, Africans tend to have a more robust build.

Brown Chinese or Africans crossed with any domestic goose of the Anser anser sub family tend to have a mixture of both traits, most commonly coloration of the brown Chinese with a less obvious knob and speckled orange and black bill, so most likely this goose in the video is a cross between the two.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom