What breeds are my chicks?!

ElizabethinNY

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Central NY
I got 10 chicks at TSC on Monday. They're supposed to be 5 New Hampshire Reds and 5 Rhode Island Reds. Are New Hampshire Reds yellow as chicks? I thought that the New Hampshire Reds would be pretty similar looking to the Rhode Island Reds. I have (supposedly) straight run chicks. So here are three pictures; can anyone confirm what breeds I have? Everyone is about a week old. Or maybe some of the difference is due to some being roosters? I put them in my photography light box this morning to photograph the difference.

I have three of these, dark red with darker beaks and some black/dark brown on their new wing feathers. These are quicker and bossier.

darkred.JPG

I have two of these pretty, soft-colored little beauties. They're friendly and sit nicely on my hands when I work with them. They're lacking the dark colors on the wings and are not quite as red at the first set.

lightred.JPG

And I have five of these yellow kids. The TSC guy said they were the New Hampshire Reds and the previous five are Rhode Island Reds. These little yellow chicks are nicer than all of the others and are slightly larger.

yellow.JPG

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your thoughts. I should probably actually have posted this in the "what breed is this" forum. Mods, please feel free to move. Thanks.
smile.png

Hi ElizabethinNY
welcome-byc.gif

I don't know what breeds you have, but they sure are cute! And the pictures are so nice. Maybe this will bump you so someone else can weigh in on the breeds.

Back
Top Bottom