What came out of my waddling chicken’s belly!?!? Warning Graphic Photos!

Staceyann2007

Hatching
Apr 22, 2024
IMG_1220.jpeg

My favorite chicken I noticed waddling about a week ago and her belly was all swollen. I hate that they hide illness like they do! She was eating and pooping and she looked pretty good other than the waddling… but when I picked her up she seemed to be in pain, so I culled her. When I did the autopsy all of this yellow stuff came out!! Are these lash eggs in different stages? I would put the video but I can’t figure out how to attach it. I am so sad to lose my girl but what the heck is this!?!

View attachment 3809057
My favorite chicken I noticed waddling about a week ago and her belly was all swollen. I hate that they hide illness like they do! She was eating and pooping and she looked pretty good other than the waddling… but when I picked her up she seemed to be in pain, so I culled her. When I did the autopsy all of this yellow stuff came out!! Are these lash eggs in different stages? I would put the video but I can’t figure out how to attach it. I am so sad to lose my girl but what the heck is this!?!
Can you cut the masses open, & take a picture?

It looks like salpingitis and coelomitis/egg yolk peritonitis. Did you see any yellow ascites fluid exit the abdomen when you cut it open? CN you get any pictures of the organs (liver, etc?)

Sorry, this is above my pay grade. But to post a video, first upload it to a video hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo, then copy the link and post it here. It is indeed amazing that a chicken can walk around acting and looking normal and have all this going on inside, poor thing. What stoic creatures. Sorry for your loss. :hugs

sorry you had to cull her :hugs I hope you figure out what’s going on.
Sorry, this is above my pay grade. But to post a video, first upload it to a video hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo, then copy the link and post it here. It is indeed amazing that a chicken can walk around acting and looking normal and have all this going on inside, poor thing. What stoic creatures. Sorry for your loss. :hugs
another way to do it witch uploads it straight to byc is here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/create

Back
Top Bottom