What caused my White Delaware to die so quickly?

worldwideumair

Hatching
Jan 15, 2022
My entire family is heart broken & sad that last night around 7pm our beautiful beloved White Delaware passed away. I’m sorry if this is a bit long post but any advice would help.

Yesterday morning 1 of my white Delaware (9 months young) was perfectly fine,combs waddle looked red and healthy,then I went outisde around 2pm and noticed she was in the corner of the backyard not moving & looked extremely pale white around the eyes & her comb waddle went from bright red to a almost colorless red….We gave her electrolytes,brought her inside keep her warm but she was breathing very heavy and sat puffed up. She couldn’t even stand up….. What could’ve killed her so quickly? It’s not like she was pale for days. It was literally just hours. They are free range chicken. I’ve been up majority of the night trying to figure out how to keep our other 3 beautiful girls strong and healthy (1 more white Delaware,Easter Egger,Red Production). I read about gapeworms,respiratory problems,mite & chicken lice.

Is it ok to put electrolytes in our chickens water everyday? Since they were born have been giving them regular water.

VetRx is what I read about. Can I give this antibiotics to my 3 chickens even if they are healthy? Is this more of a prevention type antibiotic? Or only give this when they’re visibly not looking well.

What feed can I give them to clear them of any potential worms/parasite they may have?

And lastly about mites/chicken lice. Can I get a mite/lice killer spray & spray my chickens with it under their wings/behind neck?

Again I’m just going based off what I read throughout the night were completely just heart broken she was our beloved chicken pet & were really attached to her. My mom cried entire night because this white Delaware would come running to the backyard door when my mom would come to the door & she would non stop communicate with my mom in her beautiful chicken language. So please help me give me any advice how to prevent & take care of our current ones properly & if you’re able to determine what may have killed my white Delaware so quickly within hours.

The way she passed away was she jerked herself up,did a little shriek gasping for air & just fell down. I had just left to the pharmacy to get her some antibiotic or something & my mom called me informed me she passed away.

I know there are a lot of chicken owners in this group that’s why I posted here.

We live in Dallas,TX if that helps or makes any difference weather wise since we have nearly 30-40 degrees swings everyday from 25/30 overnight to nearly 60/70 during day. Thank you in advance for your help ☹️💔
C908D213-DAB6-4E15-AC35-8B3A6C40D190.jpeg

Attachments

• D80A40C8-9993-409E-8158-C9FA504F8F76.jpeg
    D80A40C8-9993-409E-8158-C9FA504F8F76.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 2
  • A87FE986-5B5D-404F-99CA-3AD28D2E4813.jpeg
    A87FE986-5B5D-404F-99CA-3AD28D2E4813.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom