what chickens are good for meat that I can breed myself?

marathonmultiplesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Chehalis, WA
Hi, I am raising some cornish cross right now and we bought the chicks to raise for meat but what I would like to do is raise my own meat chickens, hatch the eggs and raise them but I keep finding that cornish x can not be bred with each other because of various problems. Now, I am not looking to sell meat or any food at all. I am only looking to feed my family and the extended family (we live on the same farm in separate houses) We share the garden and the eggs and meat from hunting or what we've raised but we are trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. I am building a hex-plex chicken breeding coop (will have 6 separated areas for different breeds.)

So, what I would like to know from the experienced people here...
what do you recommend for good meat birds? I don't really care if they take a little longer to raise. Like I said, we are family, not commercial. Just want a nice bunch of birds so that we can feed ourselves.
I'm not a genetics expert but I understand basic stuff. If it takes a few generations, that's fine. I just haven't done meat before in chickens, only eggs.

Thanks for your input!!!!!

I don't do meat birds, but Ive read some threads about Freedom rangers. Also, breeds like Delawares and Buckeyes are dual purpose birds good for egg laying and meat.

Back
Top Bottom