What climate for Buttonquail?

ziggy2106

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2016
Central South Dakota
I am interested in Buttonquail. I have several empty rabbit cages that I could put them in but what cold temps can they tolerate? I am in South Dakota and I put heat lamps above all my poultry with plenty of bedding, but it still gets chilly. Bobwhites aren't supposed to be able to tolerate our winters but I keep them warm enough... Probably not warm enough for Buttons though? Would a heated garage work (assuming I could convince my husband, and I think he might go for it)?

So cute!

I have buttons in an unheated building and I live in Denmark. This winter has been relatively mild, but I'd estimate they've been exposed to -10 degrees Celsius several times and they seem to be doing just fine, though it would of course be easier to keep them if their water didn't freeze and they'd probably appreciate higher temps as well. I won't say this would work everywhere, Scandinavian buttons might have been bred tougher than buttons in other places. But I have 10 buttons in that building and haven't lost any or seen signs of disease.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom