What color will the eggs be ?

Mixed breed rooster

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2024
Hello, I crossed an f2 olive egger roo with some white layer, cream layer, brown layer and a marans hen. My question is: what color the future hen will lay ? Considering that rooster is an f2 olive egger and the hens are homade hybrids.

Attachments

• IMG20240204120341.jpg
    IMG20240204120341.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 25
Also on another note that rooster you have above looks awfully a lot like most black copper marans. So if he's second generation BCM/Egger the egg colors are going to be all off because marans have way heavier bloom them the average layer.

Also on another note that rooster you have above looks awfully a lot like most black copper marans. So if he's second generation BCM/Egger the egg colors are going to be all off because marans have way heavier bloom them the average layer.
Yeah, it's basically a marans, the differences is the pea comb.

Yeah, it's basically a marans, the differences is the pea comb.
It'll be interesting but egg genetics aren't super rocket science it just depends on if you truly know what he was bred with before and what the one you are breeding him to. As if they have recessive/dominant genes you can basically do simple charting and find out what you'll get. But again bloom is super heavy in almost all marans so you'll more then likely have foggier/darker colored eggs if you breed with him. But he should make some pretty babies still!

Honestly not sure how to answer this as there is so many factors I can give you some research to do to guess. But also you won't know until the eggs come out as there is a 25/25/50 chance for Green/Blue/Brown depending on what you breed to with EE to EE. And then you can look at the charts for the others. I'd classify your rooster as an Olive Egger but he's going to carry a dominate O gene (Blue) and then a Recessive o Gene (Brown). So there is a chance depending on what you breed with what you can get here.

In the future it's much much easier to do egg genetics from a hen you know eggs are coming out of and then have a pure bred rooster on what you want to get in my opinion. Lots of others might have better advice though on if you are wanting a guarunteed color from what you hatch, but in my general advice EE's are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get. lol.

Back
Top Bottom