What colors are my chocolate silkie chicks?

May 11, 2023
Hi! I acquired a chocolate silkie roo, previous owner didn’t know if he’s a sexlink or dun.
I’ve got 6 of his chicks I’ve hatched so far and another batch of eggs incubating.
My hens these babies could have come from include 2 splash silkies (one has sizzle feathers), one white silkie, and one partridge showgirl.

So I’ve read a little about chocolate genetics but, I’m confused what the heck the differences are in some of the colors they can produce. I’ve seen mauve, fawn, khaki, platinum……

The small brown chick looks like solid chocolate to me, but I don’t think I should have gotten a chocolate from the hens I have unless my rooster is sexlink right?
The other dark chocolatey one has a lot of lighter colors mixed in and blonde in the top of his head.
One of the blonde colored chicks is frizzling so its mom was definitely the splash sizzle.. so that would mean it’s khaki / mauve or fawn?
Then I’m pretty sure the showgirl and the other dark chick look black right?

This doesn’t matter a whole lot, mostly just curious and i’m going to list some chicks on Craigs list soon and I wasn’t sure what colors to call them for that.

Included pics of my roo if that helps.

808361AB-A638-4FDF-B265-55104A4EBD5F.jpeg
89C7EFCE-BD75-493C-9976-395337E7B975.jpeg
B69EC13E-AB25-4F0C-AD1E-AFD34A6069BB.jpeg
6FD0B2F3-C7FF-451D-967D-715A1F4C690E.jpeg
7EC1A0F5-95F8-488D-B090-B66BBE076844.jpeg

Beautiful birds! I have Chocolate hens, I think. I have 7 various colors that are just 5 months old so not certain yet.

The blonde one you're asking about, I'll guess mauve, but I've never heard of fawn in silkie colors. They can change so much from chick to adult so until they're about a month old at the soonest I think it's a good guess what they'll be. But even these that are nearly 5 months old changed a little in the last few weeks.

Here's a link I used to help me figure out who to put with whom when the time comes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-color-genetics.1219858/page-2#post-19511066

integration day.jpg
integration day -3.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful birds! I have Chocolate hens, I think. I have 7 various colors that are just 5 months old so not certain yet.

The blonde one you're asking about, I'll guess mauve, but I've never heard of fawn in silkie colors. They can change so much from chick to adult so until they're about a month old at the soonest I think it's a good guess what they'll be. But even these that are nearly 5 months old changed a little in the last few weeks.

Here's a link I used to help me figure out who to put with whom when the time comes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-color-genetics.1219858/page-2#post-19511066

View attachment 3648553
View attachment 3648563

Thank you! This is all realty helpful! Your birds are beautiful too, your lighter colored one looks a lot like now my lighter colored one might end up looking similar to.

Back
Top Bottom