What could I have done for my Chick?

Bella the Chicken Lover

Come to Jesus, Where All is Love
Feb 13, 2023
The Avengers Tower
Hi! One of my chicks that hatched today had a red blob over on its belly, over the umbilical cord was supposed to connect to the chick. I'm thinking that maybe it was unabsorbed yolk, but I'm not completely sure. Could I have helped my chick(sorry, I guess I didn't mention that it died, two hours after hatching), or saved it? Here are some pictures, before it died:
Screenshot 2023-04-06 221842.png
Screenshot 2023-04-06 221853.png
Screenshot 2023-04-06 221931.png

Last edited:
Hello. I’m very sorry for your loss. Did it hatch by itself or did someone try to “help” it out? If it hatched on its own, then I don’t think there’s much you could’ve done for it. This same thing has happened to me a few times before. It doesn’t look like it was bleeding at all, so to me it looks like an unabsorbed yolk sac. Maybe it just hatched a little too early. I’m sorry, it’s always so sad, but sometimes it just happens and there’s nothing you can do.

Hello. I’m very sorry for your loss. Did it hatch by itself or did someone try to “help” it out? If it hatched on its own, then I don’t think there’s much you could’ve done for it. This same thing has happened to me a few times before. It doesn’t look like it was bleeding at all, so to me it looks like an unabsorbed yolk sac. Maybe it just hatched a little too early. I’m sorry, it’s always so sad, but sometimes it just happens and there’s nothing you can do.
Thank you! It did hatch on its own, although, it hatched on day 25, and I candled it day 24 thing it was dead, and just making sure. Maybe I rushed the chick? Well, thank you for your responses!

Thank you! It did hatch on its own, although, it hatched on day 25, and I candled it day 24 thing it was dead, and just making sure. Maybe I rushed the chick? Well, thank you for your responses!
Yeah, since it hatched so late it was already a weak chick, so don’t feel too bad about it. The only reason I can think of that would explain this happening would be maybe fluctuating temperature during incubation? In the few times I’ve hatched chicks though, my temperatures have always been pretty steady but I’ve still had this happen.

Yeah, since it hatched so late it was already a weak chick, so don’t feel too bad about it. The only reason I can think of that would explain this happening would be maybe fluctuating temperature during incubation? In the few times I’ve hatched chicks though, my temperatures have always been pretty steady but I’ve still had this happen.
Now that you mention it, it DID keep moving up and down from 98 to 100...thank you again for all your help! I feel much better!

Back
Top Bottom