What do you do when hen has bald area from rooster mounting?

Stockpilejoy

Songster
Jan 13, 2019
NC
I have one hen that has a dime size area on the corner of one wing from the rooster mounting. I purchased a couple saddles with wing guards but have not tried them yet since I'm concerned the dustbath will not be as beneficial with her back area being covered plus worried with the warmer days ahead. And to make matters worse a couple weeks back I noticed lice on one hen so I've been treating flock and I definitely don't want to cover up her back now until I know lice/eggs are completely gone. I've used oral ivermectin and purchased Elector PSP since I've read many feel ivermectin does not work with lice...By the time Elector came in from Amazon[4 days after giving ivermectin], I could no longer see lice but went ahead and sprayed flock, coop, and hung two gauge bags of brimstone to assure bugs will begone and stay gone. I repeated spray and Ivermectin 8 days later. I am new to having a rooster and would like to know what you do when a hen has bald area? Will the skin toughen up over time or do you make attempts to cover it with apron? ...Or do you separate the Rooster at times during day? The area has pretty much stayed the same over the last 4 weeks so I'm debating not attempting the saddle with wing guards and just watching her closely. In the beginning there was a red blood tip where feather had broken off but thankful other hens did not appear to notice it..Skin has stayed normal pink color. I've watched her closely to make sure skin area does not bleed to prevent pecking from the other hens. She does not like it when I separate the rooster. I tried that when I first noticed the broken feather. All my girls love my rooster-Hansel and fret when he is not with them. I've looked up here for info on hen saddles but notice that there are not many responses under the subject so wondering if many are opposed or just haven't had luck with them. So it all boils down to ..as long as the bald area does not have sore or bleeding area, will my hen be ok just leaving it alone?? Any suggestions or experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

When I first came to where I am the hens had bare patches on their backs the size of my palm.
It didn't seem to bother them much. The problem was these patches got sun burnt and that did bother them.
If the bare patches are on the hens shoulders then at least the rooster is standing on the hen in the right position. Large roosters and smaller hens often means the rooster is resting on his spurs and this can cause a lot of damage.
So, check that your rooster is getting his feet in the right place first of all.
If he is, then take him off the roost one night, wrap him in a towel so his feet are showing and give him a manicure.:)
You do this with a nail file. You don't need to take much off, just make sure any sharp edges on his toe nails are filed smooth. Do his spurs while you're at it. There is no need to cut anything.
While the above may not prevent feathers breaking it will help to stop any cuts/wounds developing on the hens shoulders.
Here at least, if the hens don't want the roosters attentions they won't crouch and either fight the rooster off, or run away.

When I first came to where I am the hens had bare patches on their backs the size of my palm.
It didn't seem to bother them much. The problem was these patches got sun burnt and that did bother them.
If the bare patches are on the hens shoulders then at least the rooster is standing on the hen in the right position. Large roosters and smaller hens often means the rooster is resting on his spurs and this can cause a lot of damage.
So, check that your rooster is getting his feet in the right place first of all.
If he is, then take him off the roost one night, wrap him in a towel so his feet are showing and give him a manicure.:)
You do this with a nail file. You don't need to take much off, just make sure any sharp edges on his toe nails are filed smooth. Do his spurs while you're at it. There is no need to cut anything.
While the above may not prevent feathers breaking it will help to stop any cuts/wounds developing on the hens shoulders.
Here at least, if the hens don't want the roosters attentions they won't crouch and either fight the rooster off, or run away.
Great advice...Thank you!

Remove the rooster every 3 days or so for a day or 2 to give her a rest. If your hatching eggs his absence for that short of time will not affect the fertility.

Roosters do have favorite hens and cover them more frequently than others. These hens are just easy.

Back
Top Bottom