What else besides feed, water & grit?

A handful of fresh tender grass and herbs like dandelion will keep them entertained, it's also good from a nutritional point of view.

I was able to move mine out of the basement 2 weeks ago we have only hit 90 1 day this year. Just wanted to pass along I used puppy pads in my brooder with pine on top I had 14 chicks and 2 turkeys in a 4 x 4 and was able to keep it well maintained. The clean up was simple fold up the corners and toss in a bag took them out to compost picked out the pads and done.

So what is the difference in "grit" and oyster shell?? And at what age should I give both? My babies are 9 weeks old now.
Chick Grit and Poultry Grit is insoluble and stays in the gizzard to grind up food, as others have said.

Oyster Shells are soluble and start to dissolve in the proventriculus before the gizzard to provide calcium, as others have said.

I offer Chick Grit at 2 weeks and Poultry Grit at 7 weeks. Oyster Shells at 15 weeks. 20200718_083035_resized.jpg . Each in separate containers.
20200718_080326_resized_1.jpg

I have ISA Browns, 11 weeks old. I expect them to start laying in 5 weeks. 20200716_171703_resized.jpg . I like to offer shells a week or two before laying. GC

Back
Top Bottom