What feed should 12 week old birds be on

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
I’m hoping somebody could please help me. I’ve always had ex battery hens and I’ve recently (3 weeks ago) acquired silkies. They were hatched end of January so around 12 weeks. The breeder told me that they fed them on layers so it was fine to feed them layers. I’ve done so for the 3 weeks but recently read they should not be on layers as they are not laying.

I’ve got myself into a bit of a panic that I’ve caused them damage by giving them layers. How quickly can I change them over to growers and any signs I need to look out for incase the layers have caused issues. Should they be getting any vitamins they have a multi vitamin in their water but unfortunately have also had/have mycroplasma so are currently on Tylan.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

How quickly can I change them over to growers
Just take the old feed out and put the new feed in.

Chicken feeds are usually similar enough that an abrupt switch is not a problem.

You can check the list of ingredients on your bags of feed to be sure, but the main things are almost always corn, maybe other grains, and soy. Anything else is in small quantities. (The small amounts are nutritionally important, but not a problem when changing feeds.)

Should they be getting any vitamins they have a multi vitamin in their water but unfortunately have also had/have mycroplasma so are currently on Tylan.
In general, if you provide suitable feed and fresh water, there is no need for extra vitamins.

If you do put vitamins in the water, be sure to provide a container of plain water too. That way the chickens have the option to avoid the vitamins without going thirsty. Even vitamins can cause trouble if a chicken has too much of them.

(If the Tylan is in their water, of course you should not provide any other water source, because you do not want them to have a choice about taking their medicine.)

A
I’m hoping somebody could please help me. I’ve always had ex battery hens and I’ve recently (3 weeks ago) acquired silkies. They were hatched end of January so around 12 weeks. The breeder told me that they fed them on layers so it was fine to feed them layers. I’ve done so for the 3 weeks but recently read they should not be on layers as they are not laying.

I’ve got myself into a bit of a panic that I’ve caused them damage by giving them layers. How quickly can I change them over to growers and any signs I need to look out for incase the layers have caused issues. Should they be getting any vitamins they have a multi vitamin in their water but unfortunately have also had/have mycroplasma so are currently on Tylan.

Any advice would be very appreciated.
That age, either starter or grower is typical. Starter will be richer and contain more vitamins. Are they integrated with your older layers or being kept separate?

I generally do starter till 8wk, then move the whole flock to grower for integration with calcium grit on the side. Currently, I have my entire flock on grower as I have quite a mix with an occasional roo, pullets and older girls.

If you aren't seeing issues though, you may not need to rush to switch feeds. Silkies, particularly those with vaulted skulls, can be sensitive to vitamin deficiencies. I add a splash of apple cider vinegar to a plastic bell waterer for a bit of a vitamin boost. - it's the same concept as kombucha for humans - bacteria and yeast break down the apple and leave the nutrients in a more easily digestible form.

If they are experiencing trouble with vitamins though, I would expect symptoms like stumbling, stargazing or wryneck. I can't say in regards to interactions with microplasma, biosecurity here as done their worst to keep it out of the country, so not something I've dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom