What gender is my peacock/peahen?

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
I have one peacock/peahen that lives with my emu's and I call it a she but I really don't know for sure.... "she" sometimes displays her fan so does that mean Male or can they both display? "She" is a black shoulder. She is about a year old (I think) and has blueish green feathers on the back of "her" neck. "She" also has little spurs starting to come in. So anyways.... any ideas on gender? I need to know so I can try to find "her" a mate. :) thanks! Also please excuse the feed strung everywhere in the pics and the emu head 😂 my emu stole my bag of feed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-090659_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-090659_Snapchat.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210609-090716_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-090716_Snapchat.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210609-090706_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-090706_Snapchat.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210609-090711_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-090711_Snapchat.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210609-091440_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-091440_Snapchat.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 7
You'll probably get more responses posting this on the peafowl forum! That being said, I researched them up a bit and I am quite sure it's a female! I have never raised peafowl so I want to make clear I am not an expert but it seems the black shouldered variety is extremely sexually dimorphic and that males turn very dark. The variety also appears to be correct :)

You'll probably get more responses posting this on the peafowl forum! That being said, I researched them up a bit and I am quite sure it's a female! I have never raised peafowl so I want to make clear I am not an expert but it seems the black shouldered variety is extremely sexually dimorphic and that males turn very dark. The variety also appears to be correct :)
That variety does have very different colors for males and females, but at what age? I don't know, myself. I do know that peafowl aren't sexually mature until 3 years of age, so it's possible the males don't show mature coloring until later.

That variety does have very different colors for males and females, but at what age? I don't know, myself. I do know that peafowl aren't sexually mature until 3 years of age, so it's possible the males don't show mature coloring until later.
I was reading and it sounds like some breeders can do it within 10-11 weeks. I take it that males rapidly darken in this variety. Other sources say a few months. Either way, by a year old it seems that that variety is sex-able :) Then again, I've never raised peafowl so there could be nuances in it that I don't understand!

I was reading and it sounds like some breeders can do it within 10-11 weeks. I take it that males rapidly darken in this variety. Other sources say a few months. Either way, by a year old it seems that that variety is sex-able :) Then again, I've never raised peafowl so there could be nuances in it that I don't understand!
If that's the case then I think you are right. Must be a female.

Back
Top Bottom