What happens if I hatch a Frazzle Cochin Hen's eggs?

MichelleG77

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
I purchased 3 bantam frizzled cochin's from Rural King last summer. All 3 turned out to be hens, but one of them started to develop feathers that are like quills or wires. From what I have learned, I'm guessing she is a frazzle. I am collecting eggs from their coop to hatch for my kindergarten class. The rooster is a bantam polish rooster. It's hard to tell whose eggs are whose so if I accidentally put one from the frazzle hen (mixed with the polish rooster) could the chick inherit the frazzle gene?

Technically yes they would inherit the Frazzle gene. But it's the same gene as Frizzle!

One gene (Ff) makes a Frizzle, two makes a Frazzle (FF) so assuming your polish isn't a Frizzle (which he shouldn't be) you should be fine : D

100% of her eggs will result in Frizzle chicks when bred to a Non-Frizzle Rooster (ff x FF = 100% Ff) while the other hens will result in 50% Frizzle and 50% Non-Frizzle (ff x Ff = 50% ff & 50% Ff)

Technically yes they would inherit the Frazzle gene. But it's the same gene as Frizzle!

One gene (Ff) makes a Frizzle, two makes a Frazzle (FF) so assuming your polish isn't a Frizzle (which he shouldn't be) you should be fine : D

100% of her eggs will result in Frizzle chicks when bred to a Non-Frizzle Rooster (ff x FF = 100% Ff) while the other hens will result in 50% Frizzle and 50% Non-Frizzle (ff x Ff = 50% ff & 50% Ff)
My rooster is a bantam white crested blue polish, so I would also assume he does not carry the frizzle gene. Thank you so much for the great information! You explained it so well!

Back
Top Bottom