What have I got here?

The Sheriff

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Northern CA
Any guesses? Two on the right girls? One on the left boy?

34566_3babyemus-1-3.jpg

no way to tell unless you dna sex them or just wait till they get older. females tend to boss the males, as they get older, but the sure way will be the sounds they make and the strutting.

Nope actually you can tell by being familiar with their feather patterns on their heads. And can back that up with a quick look up their vent if its that important to ya.

I've been told that before about the color pattern, but have yet to see it proven...though you could be right. I've raised emus for around 15 yrs until they became non profitable, and a few of my older friends more experienced than I am say it's unsure as well. Needless to say, the patterns that was supposed to be a male or female came out the opposite...im still open to the idea. Didnt mention vent sexing because not many people want to stick their finger up a birds butt haha.

the coloration of the head is not 100% foolproof, as some look kinda like bullseyes, and some don't...but it's a pretty decent indication... From looking I'd say that the two on the left are possibly boys, and the far right is a girl...again the far right is hard to tell, as the striping is a bit jumbled.

Dan

Quote:
I agree, I send the hatched shells in and they dna sex them from the blood in the shell, so I don't have to wait long to sell them. Unless you're planning on keeping what you have, then it won't matter.

Back
Top Bottom