What if the predator lives in the coop ?

luvmychixandducks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Danvers, Massachusetts
I found one of my bantam roosters dead in the coop when I fed earlier this week- now today I see another of the bantam old english game roosters is limping- with what appears to be a broken leg.
I suspect the silky roo I got from this forum is not as sweet tempered as I was led to believe.
Since he's the big boy in the pen, I don't think it's one of the other bantam old english game cocks doing the damage, as they all grew up together..
Should I isolate him - give him the benefit of the doubt? Or send him on his way to a new home?
I promised him a good home, but don't want to lose any more birds to injury.

Yikes, I would quarantine him but it's likely you have a predator, was the other dead one mangled? How many hens do you have? Do you have any other roos besides the limping one and the banty? Are they free range?

A rat will do that type of damage. Check for any small holes in your coop if it can get its head through.....it can get its body through.

Original rooster was dead but not eaten- not even bloody, just lying there expired.
Latest casualty is limping but also no apparent open wound.
I do have additional roos in this pen along with several hens. They do not free range but are contained when they exit the coop within a chain link dog cage approx 8' by 8' .
I have seen the silkie go after the bantam roos within the pen, but he hasn't done any real damage that I observed until lately. Usually a quick chase and a peck to assert his dominance.
He has access to the silkie hen as well as to several old english game hens.
I don't think rats is the issue here.

Have found a new home for the roosters where crowding or numbers is not an issue, so problem solved. (And no, they will not be sent to freezer camp...) The donor who placed him with me wanted a safe home and that's what he'll get.

Back
Top Bottom