What is a grizzle Button Quail

Hiram Means

Songster
Feb 26, 2021
I have heard of grizzle button quail but can't seem to find any pictures anywhere online! Are they a new variation, another name for one I already knew about, or a combination of some sort? If any one has a grizzle please post a picture. Thank you so much!

Grizzles appear to only be available in Australia and I was never able to find a photo.

It is a well documented mutation in pigeons:
https://sites.google.com/site/colourhomers/mutations/grizzles
I was reading about the various colors and patterns on that site, and there’s no mention of pied, could grizzle just be what someone who was accustomed to pigeon terminology called a similar look in quail? So perhaps they are just referring to pied patterns in Quail as grizzle, because they looked similar to grizzle pigeons?

I was reading about the various colors and patterns on that site, and there’s no mention of pied, could grizzle just be what someone who was accustomed to pigeon terminology called a similar look in quail? So perhaps they are just referring to pied patterns in Quail as grizzle, because they looked similar to grizzle pigeons?
Grizzles have the 'normal' (depending on the mutation) top colour but under the top colour they lack colour.

Looking at the mutations list again I saw that Caramel is Grizzle + Cinnamon. I used to have Caramels (unfortunately we lost our little quail to a rat attack while they were in a temporary aviary when we moved house:(). But here was a young pair of Caramels we bred:

1617852607516.png

It seems to be a sex-linked colour.

I also got a diluted version of the normal mutation by adding the Caramel mutation in, but the genetics side is still a mystery to me, and there's very little information about these mutations.

Thank you to both of you! This is the biggest amount of information I've heard about grizzles in one place :D

While we're at it do either of you know what a bronze button quail is or have pictures? I saw it mentioned in the post FloorCandy linked

Back
Top Bottom