What is it about Silkies?

Cuban Longtails

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast Texas
I've got two young silkies (possibly mixed). I originally put them under a broody bantam japaneese hen who already had chicks. She immediately didn't take to them but took to the other chicks I mixed in with hers. Just last night I was doing some rearranging with my brooder boxes and decided to separate out the smaller chicks from the larger chicks, but left the silkies (because they are older and larger than my other bantam chicks) in with my RIR, BO, and Americauna chicks. The RIR started fighting with the silkies so much that he started pecking at the buff orpington pullet he was raised with (the silkies are a buff color).

Needless to say I put the silkies back in with the rest of the bantams and the RIR calmed down. Do silkies always bring out aggression in other breeds?

I don't know either... but my standard hens really growled and attacked my new white silkie when I introduced them. I have her in with bantams now and she's fine. I picked up 3 young black silkies and they fought just a little with the bantams.

Back
Top Bottom