What is prognosis for egg bound hen

Cllnthomas

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2020
I have a 6 month old Easter Egger, Fluff, that became egg bound with her first egg. Vet took X-ray and said egg was breach but later that day ( in dark, quiet and warm environment) she laid the egg. That was this last Monday. This morning, Friday and four days later she is egg bound again. I have been doing Epsom bath soaks, massaging her and lubricated her vent. I went to work today and kept her warm and dark and quiet in dog crate in house. Egg was laid when I got home. She still has not begun walking normally but is lively and eats more since egg was released.
MY QUESTION: Is this going to get better or will this continue with constant intervention necessary? Is there anything else I can do? Your opinion if it would be more humane to have her euthanized.

Update:
Thankfully the hen has been laying eggs on a regular basis with no problems. Her tail feathers are pointed more upwards, however, she is still waddling like a duck. Will she ever get back to walking normally and is there anything else I can do to help with this?
I have also seen her laying down on her stomach when eating the food out of her bowel or from the ground?

Attachments

• IMG_5478.jpeg
    IMG_5478.jpeg
    913.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5477.jpeg
    IMG_5477.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom