what is sexlinked meant

hello...
Im noobies may i know what Sex linked mean for crossing chickens
Sexlink means one gender looks different at hatch. It's specific traits influenced by genes carried on the Sex chromosomes.

These can be color/patterns like Barring, or Gold, Silver.

Male Barred chickens can carrie 1-2 copies of the barring gene. Two copies makes Males lighter in color, due have extra white in the bars.

Female Barred Chickens can only carry 1 copy, they can never have 2 copies. They can be Light Barred which is a different barring mutation, but can still only have one copy.

To make a Sex link with the barring gene, you breed a Solid(Not Barred) Rooster to a Barred hen. Males will be identified with a headspot at hatch, while females won't.
Males will also be Barred when they feather out, females will not.

Gold, & Silver Sexlinking is similar.
Male chickens can be Gold, Silver, or Both.
Females can only be Gold, or Silver, but never both.

To create the sexlinks is to breed a Gold/Red Male to a Silver Female.
Male chicks will hatch out White, or Yellowish White. Females will hatch out Orange/Reddish Orange.

Sexlink means one gender looks different at hatch. It's specific traits influenced by genes carried on the Sex chromosomes.

These can be color/patterns like Barring, or Gold, Silver.

Male Barred chickens can carrie 1-2 copies of the barring gene. Two copies makes Males lighter in color, due have extra white in the bars.

Female Barred Chickens can only carry 1 copy, they can never have 2 copies. They can be Light Barred which is a different barring mutation, but can still only have one copy.

To make a Sex link with the barring gene, you breed a Solid(Not Barred) Rooster to a Barred hen. Males will be identified with a headspot at hatch, while females won't.
Males will also be Barred when they feather out, females will not.

Gold, & Silver Sexlinking is similar.
Male chickens can be Gold, Silver, or Both.
Females can only be Gold, or Silver, but never both.

To create the sexlinks is to breed a Gold/Red Male to a Silver Female.
Male chicks will hatch out White, or Yellowish White. Females will hatch out Orange/Reddish Orange.
excellent explanation
thank you

as i have solid white Jersey giant rooster gonna cross him with barred rock hens..

excellent explanation
thank you

as i have solid white Jersey giant rooster gonna cross him with barred rock hens..
I wouldn't use white, unless it's like recessive which is black underneath like dominant white, but the white won't show with one copy.

Back
Top Bottom