What is the best way to introduce new hens?

TreeFever

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
MA
I currently have 4 crested polish (1 roo who we will be giving away, and 3 hens).
I brought home the cutest little banties from work yesterday. One is black with a rose comb and white ears, and the other is a brown sultan, both are hens.
I've been trying to integrate them becasue I have heard that you can mix banties and full sizes and also because the polish are a docile breed.
As of right now I've got the cage within the run setup, so the polishes can see and be near the banties but still have a barrier.
When i let them out supervised, there was some tail pulling and chasing going on of course. I'm a little nervous to let them out full time together because I don't want the banties to get hurt, but I also am thinking that the pecking has to happen eventually.

What is the best method for introducing new chickens?
Should I just let them battle it out or wait a few more days with them seperated?

Quarentine!!!!! It's to late now, but the first step should have been quarentining them. Anytime you get new birds or other animals for that matter, you should quarentine them for 30 days.

Now for blending them. I put mine in another fence for a few days before I even let them together. Then I mixed them. There will be pecking and that is normal. What you want to watch for is pecking where they may hurt or kill the one being pecked on. If blood is drawn it is an immediate pull, as they will keep pecking at the blood.

Sounds like I should just keep doing what I'm doing then
smile.png

As for quarentine, I got them from a farm I work at where I take care of and moniter them, so I don't think it's entirely necessary
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom